Yeast for Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_Bob

Reaction score
Still have a couple of kits to get underway in the next couple of weeks but wondered what would be the best yeast to use to help prevent the fermentation from sticking.

Kits are Woodfordes Admirals Reserve and a Milestone Lions Pride.

IIRC a few years ago people seemed to use a Safale 04 with some kits ?

I've noticed reading threads on here that a Wilko's yeast seems to be popular.

Would welcome your comments and thoughts please.

Many thanks

I've used the Wilko Gervin yeast with a Wherry with great success. I think it's a case of using any 11-12g packet of yeast over the kit yeast. Different yeasts will bring different flavours and characteristics to your beer but US Safale 04 or 05 are very popular yeasts.

Wherry is notorious for sticking so it's best to swap out the kit yeast. As wherry is an english ale I'd use an English style yeast. S04, or Mangrove Jacks liberty bell, nottingham (wilko) mixed 50/50 with either windsor, Mangrove jacks empire ale or the new ESB yeast from lellemand. The reason to mix these yeast with notty is they all have a medium attenuation whereas notty has a high attenuatuion. So you get the English character from the lower attenuators and the high attenuation from the Notty.

I used a wilko in my admirals reserve. .it went from 1054 to 1012 and is now completely clear in the bottle. Not tried it yet as it's reserved....for Xmas!

Cheers

Clint

Passed by a Wilko's today so poped in to get hold of some yeast for future brews.

The only Gervin yeast I could see was for wine, couldn't see a label for a beer version of the yeast though so left empty handed. :-(

I'm assuming this isn't the yeast that you guys use.

Wherry is notorious for sticking so it's best to swap out the kit yeast. As wherry is an english ale I'd use an English style yeast. S04, or Mangrove Jacks liberty bell, nottingham (wilko) mixed 50/50 with either windsor, Mangrove jacks empire ale or the new ESB yeast from lellemand. The reason to mix these yeast with notty is they all have a medium attenuation whereas notty has a high attenuatuion. So you get the English character from the lower attenuators and the high attenuation from the Notty.

Wooowwww therin lies a depth of knowledge only years of experience can bring to fruition :thumb:

quick question, dry pitch or start of first

yes , re hydrate before pitching was my query in the hope it would help stop the brew sticking or is it better to use a different yeast altogether.

Passed by a Wilko's today so poped in to get hold of some yeast for future brews.

The only Gervin yeast I could see was for wine, couldn't see a label for a beer version of the yeast though so left empty handed. :-(

I'm assuming this isn't the yeast that you guys use.

Hi!
This is the stuff:
2mcubh2.jpg

I have gone full circle. Started sprinkling, moved to rehydration, then tried rehydration followed by a short period in a low gravity wort before pitching.
I had a few dodgy starts with the last two, it may have been the yeast, so am back to sprinkling. Apart from it being so much easier, when things did go as expected there didn't seem to be any difference, as Bigcol49 noticed.
So it's now sprinkle, put the lid on, and leave it alone.

Latest posts

Back