Yeast washer conical

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great thread - I'm going to try this soon.

On the subject of water, would it be easier to buy cheap bottled water for yeast rinsing? Is this sufficiently free of chloramins and micro-organisms? For the small quantities I use, it would save the faff of boiling and treating tap water.

Or I could collect rain-water - no shortage of that in Scotland. I guess you still need to boil it though...

evanvine said:
The draw back with tap water is the chloramins, you need to dose with 1/2 a campden tablet per 5 galls, I normally put a whole one in because I'm a lazy sod. :oops:

Interesting - I've been recovering yeast using boiled tap water for ages - what problems can chloramines cause for the yeast?

MacKiwi said:
This is a great thread - I'm going to try this soon.

On the subject of water, would it be easier to buy cheap bottled water for yeast rinsing? Is this sufficiently free of chloramins and micro-organisms? For the small quantities I use, it would save the faff of boiling and treating tap water.

Or I could collect rain-water - no shortage of that in Scotland. I guess you still need to boil it though...

Boiling also removes oxygen, which helps the yeast stay in a dormant state.

evanvine said:
bunkerbrewer said:
Boiling also removes oxygen, which helps the yeast stay in a dormant state.
Point taken, but I don't think it's a big issue.
The yeast is going to be pretty ****** off anyway having no sugars to munch on! ;)

Lol! A bit like banning football players from sex before a match?! You should name one of your brews "Angry Yeast" :)

evanvine said:
used your idea troutie, but with a slight difference.
in stead of 22mm pipe, I used a 22-15mm reducer so that I could fit a 15mm ball valve.
Works a treat, many thanks! :thumb:

any chance of a piccy

Will boiling drive off any of the chlorine

P1020527_zps9194779c.jpg

Good thinking there :thumb: and brings the price down I guess

Disaster has struck this afternoon I syphoned off my Saison into secondary as it was down to 1002 from 1070 :shock:
then went about washing the yeast and pouring into the yeastical and then went and knocked it off the bench :doh:

Now wondering can i reclaim the yeast from the secondary when ready?

evanvine said:
That reminds me...
I really must build me a frame, the retort stand doesn't really cut the mustard!

Gone low tech for mine a drainpipe clamp

also multi use as it doubles as a glass holder for those brew day refreshments

Latest posts

Back