HBC BIAB Starter Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiWHU

Reaction score
Just ordered the BIAB starter kit from HBC. Used the members discount from this site and it came to less than £77.00 and that was with a free AG kit thrown in.

Seemed really good value.:thumb:

Any reviews of these on here?

ditto here mine arrives in the morning
I HOPE
went a bit mad with maris otter and hops mind came to £122 but by my reckoning thats 5 23l brews with the free one comes in at £1 per litre all in

I bought this kit a few months ago and it's great value.
Get some rope and use it to hoist the grain bag out of the wort after mashing as it's quite heavy and holds a lot of wort . I then sparge the hanging bag before boiling.

I hear the kit is good.. certainly gets you well into the AG setup. Nearly went for it myself but well I have a long story..

I was a lucky winner of a HBC kit and It was great and I know everyone here who had done one said it was very good

What did you go for?

I ordered mine last Friday, hoping to have it for a Timothy Taylor Landlord clone brew this weekend.

I went for the HBC Apollo Mashkit as the included kit, uses Apollo and Columbus hops which I haven't used before during my partial mashes on my hob top.

I went for the American Double IPA kit. I too was interested in the hop combination, although this lot look they need to be dry hopped.

I went for the American Double IPA kit. I too was interested in the hop combination, although this lot look they need to be dry hopped.

Oooh thats the one I did, very nice very pale straw coloured some maltiness and sweetness but a real kick with IBUS and citrusy hop.. Really good.. packs a punch at the 6.5% too

Boo hoo !
HBC have just refunded my payment. Once again, I fall victim to the 'sorry, we don't deliver to the Isle of Skye'.
I wouldn't mind, but it's not even an island anymore !!!

So, back to the drawing board to consider my options. I have read that the Peco doesn't make a particularly good mash tun, so I may look at a cool box type mash tun and a large stock pot and go down the propane/butane gas route.

Any advice appreciated...

So, back to the drawing board to consider my options. I have read that the Peco doesn't make a particularly good mash tun, so I may look at a cool box type mash tun and a large stock pot and go down the propane/butane gas route.

Any advice appreciated...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55056&highlight=burner

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54422&highlight=burner

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54551&highlight=burner

Brilliant CT, thank you.
That probably confirms I will go down the gas route. I already have a large well insulated shed and a 7kg butane cylinder to hand as well as a sturdy double burner stove tho will prob upgrade to a bigger burner, cheap enough...

Just done my second partial mash today with said stove, took a while (30mins) to get my 13 litres of wort up to a rolling boil but very steady and controllable thereafter . :cheers:

I already have a large well insulated shed and a 7kg butane cylinder to hand as well as a sturdy double burner stove tho will prob upgrade to a bigger burner,

I wouldn't fire up a burner in "a large well insulated shed" there have been some horror stories in the press about gas burners and enclosed spaces.

Doors wide open and a through draught, of course, and not in there all the time....
As an ex fireman I am aware of the risks of co2 poisoning. It is colourless and odourless and stays in the bloodstream for years. I also have a detector.
Thanks for the heads up though, it doesn't do any harm to be reminded of the potential dangers.

Doors wide open and a through draught, of course, and not in there all the time....
As an ex fireman I am aware of the risks of co2 poisoning. It is colourless and odourless and stays in the bloodstream for years. I also have a detector.
Thanks for the heads up though, it doesn't do any harm to be reminded of the potential dangers.

:thumb:

Brilliant CT, thank you.
That probably confirms I will go down the gas route. I already have a large well insulated shed and a 7kg butane cylinder to hand as well as a sturdy double burner stove tho will prob upgrade to a bigger burner, cheap enough...

Just done my second partial mash today with said stove, took a while (30mins) to get my 13 litres of wort up to a rolling boil but very steady and controllable thereafter . :cheers:

If it helps, I eneded up going to Powell Brewing and getting this

http://powellbrewing.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=100

It was a bit more but with a built in thermomemterhose barbed tap and sight glass (which may need calibrating according to my thread) I thought it was worth the extra few ££. I just need a burner now

Thanks for the link Covrich.
They do some nice stuff there, could almost get giddy and order a full micro brewery at £570 !!
But once again, 'please contact us for delivery information' strikes again...
My fault perhaps for living in the back of beyond....
MM has been in touch with possible options to source some stuff from Germany, might not help with our trade deficit maybe, but cheap beer is far more important ;-)

Boo hoo !
HBC have just refunded my payment. Once again, I fall victim to the 'sorry, we don't deliver to the Isle of Skye'.

I'm driving up to Skye next week. Leaving Edinburgh on Thursday morning. I could potentially bring it up for you if they shipped it to Edinburgh by Wednesday. I'll be down at Kyleakin for the first few days.

Roddy

Thanks Roddy, very kind offer, I am but 10 miles from Kyleakin. I will see what MM comes up with bearing in mind the shortish time scale re next week and delivery to Edinburgh....
Looks like you are in for some good weather next week, probably the first on Skye this year, has been truly wet and windy. Pack some midge nets though, forecast light winds and they truly are little voracious bas....s !

Latest posts

Back