Ace Boiler packed in? Thinking of a Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine from the homebrew company as it was a good deal especially with the 5% off. Cleaner and AG kit included. I'm only just now about to run out of the cleaner, but I half the instructions and use 1 tbsp in 7.5L as I don't see the benefit in the extra volume. I aslo use THBC for ingredients, DPD delivery and good company to deal with, I've emailed them about stock etc a few times and get quick replies.

I use the micro pipework more than the regular due to brewing 15L as standard, even my recent 23L bitter will use the micro in future as the 3.8 kg grain bill wasn't enough to reach the overflow pipe, wasn't an issue as the recirc was smooth and the pump ran perfectly.

Not sure how much difference the graincoat makes and my house is pretty cold in winter, the main reason I bought it was as a safety measure with the kids about. A giant shiny thing with steam pouring out of it is way too tempting to touch and the graincoat insulates it so well that you can hold the thing while boiling and it's just pleasantly warm to the touch.

I've considered the spider but I'd have to mod it to reach low enough for good contact and my filter only had issues in my first few brews when I probably wasn't whirlpooling enough or giving it enough time to settle. Having said that, now I have a working drill for my mill I'm going to get the aeration paddle to make whirlpooling easier and to boost my aeration as I suspect that might be why my higher OG beers have some issues. Some people do recirc through the spider while boiling but I don't think that's good for the pump to have boiling wort recirc'd for so long.

So after much deliberation and the Mrs doing what they do best, I haven't gone for the GF. I actually looked back in my threads and Ive been going round in circles over the last few years regarding all in one machines. Even asking in Jul 2016 would people choose a GF/BM or an SS Brewtech Kettle etc.

I actually have decided 'build' my own two vessel system. I have already bought a buffalo induction hop (3kw version) brand new from ebay for £98 delivered. I have a old coolbox that I'm going to convert to a mash tun that the handle broke off. I did a few tests, 1 without additional lid insulation and 1 with. Found that with extra lid insulation the centre lost 1.5 degrees in an hour.
I haven't scrimped on the mash tun filter though, as I found geterbrewed/Homebrew Company sell a Bazooka oval filter (roughly £50 delivered) which seems better than the like ones you get for hop filters. I've got a basket saved for MM with all the tap parts I need which is about £30
I am now waiting to get a 10gal Ss brewtech kettle, whichever site gets them in sooner, either malt miller or brewuk.

Has been a nice project to make my own mash tun. Quite hair pulling at times though, trying to look a different sites to find the best priced items.
Hopefully be putting it together friday, testing it for leaks, deadspace etc, probably make a blog post about it all.

Thinking it will be best to test the brewtech kettle and system overall with a recipe I know in and out (creating it many times before), so I know what to expect. Was going to do a new recipe but trying to get use to a new setup and new recipe is abit too much. Doing a recipe Ive done before I know how it should end up.

Latest posts

Back