Are these rose hips?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnoticmonkey

Landlord.
Reaction score
A quick google image search looks like they are, but just thought best to confirm?

20130903-125715.jpg

Interesting... :hmm: :hmm:

They're just by a path on a residential street. Tempting just to go and cut a load off, but they could belong to the person whose garden is next to it.

I suppose I should probably knock on the door and ask! Last time I did that on this street I ended up with 7lb of plums.

There's literally about 100 hips there for the taking.

Is there any negative effect on the plant of cutting them off?

I'm no gardener but I understand that rose-growers take the flower heads off as they start to wither...

...I think it's only lazy buggers like me that just leave them!!

ISTR reading you gather them after 1st frost. But a nigth in your freezer may be as good.

oldbloke said:
ISTR reading you gather them after 1st frost. But a nigth in your freezer may be as good.

I've just read the same. Being an impatient bugger, I think I may go for the latter option.

That cultivated sort of rosehip needs picking now before they get too soft and squishy. Inspect them carefully for signs of insect penetration. Twist the tops off with your thumb nail and look inside them. If they are grey or there's any sign of maggot, throw them away. Don't bother trying to remove the seeds though, that's a pointless exercise unless you really have got nothing better to do with your time.

The thing about frosts only applies to the wild dog rosehips which are much smaller, much tougher, and come much later.

Moley said:
Twist the tops off with your thumb nail and look inside them. If they are grey or there's any sign of maggot, throw them away.

Thanks for the advice! Although, never having handled a rose hip before I don't know what I'm looking at/for.

I've twisted the tops off a few to compare the innards, and I wondered if you may be able to take the look at the photos?

http://hypnotichomebrew.wordpress.com/2 ... p-innards/

The one at the bottom has little black things in it that look like the stuff you get inside plums that have maggots. (I've always assumed they're maggot eggs)

Am I right? Should that be discarded?

Do the others look okay?

Luke

Hi Moley,

Only just seen your reply. I persevered a bit and quickly got an idea of what was good and what was bad. Looking back at all of those pics, yeah they're all bad!

All in all over half of them were bad, so the 4.5lb that I was quite excited about returning with has dropped to *just* under 2lb.

Having glanced at a few recipes, that should be just about enough to get me 1 gallon, shouldn't it?

hypnoticmonkey said:
*just* under 2lb.

Having glanced at a few recipes, that should be just about enough to get me 1 gallon, shouldn't it?
It should :thumb:

I have plenty dog rose hips in my area. They are a lot smaller and harder I would say. I read they you pick them after first frost. Am I right in thinking that will be the middle of November odd.?? There are literally 100's I can get hold of. Please let me know as I am unsure when to pick them.

Cheers all.

The "first frost" thing is all about softening them to release flavour. Putting them in the freezer for a few days will have the same effect.

Great. It looks like in that case I will go and get them this weekend. [THUMBS UP SIGN][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

There are plenty of dog rosehips in our area too, some are red and just starting to soften slightly, most are still orange. I've only picked 2 lbs so far and started a ‘single’.

I never usually fart around with one gallon / 5 litre batches but these really are fiddly little blighters so I might make an exception.

Moley said:
There are plenty of dog rosehips in our area too, some are red and just starting to soften slightly, most are still orange. I've only picked 2 lbs so far and started a ‘single’.

I never usually fart around with one gallon / 5 litre batches but these really are fiddly little blighters so I might make an exception.

They chop quite easily in a blender.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Moley said:

They chop quite easily in a blender.

What does rose hip wine taste like though? Got loads round here but understand it needs a good year to develop flavor but not sure if i'll like it hence I dont know if its worth the time.....

dont know about the wine but i made a syrup from them one time that was toffee and jam combined- maybe a bit of rose but not really, but imagine would be worth a few weeks of patience- besides think i have more fun making wines than drinking them half the time

Moley said:

Would it be possible to put your recipe up on here. I'm going to do singles. Unless I can get enough hips. A good recipe for a gallon. Batch would be brilliant. Cheers. Going to get mine this weekend and put in the freezer.

The recipe I used last year was:

3Lbs rosehips
1kg sugar
juice 1 lemon
1 mug strong black tea
pectolase
yeast nutrient

The only change I'd make is to use 800g of sugar, and add 250g of raisins.

Latest posts

Back