BIAB Idea...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBarrySir

Reaction score
This may be the stupidest thing that's ever been asked...

Would it be possible to do a BIAB brew with two bags together? As in one that lifts the grains out after mash then one that stays in for the boil that lifts out the larger sediment parts and hops alleviating the need for a hop strainer?

A bag inside a bag - Double-bagging - Is this a thing already?! :geek:

You can never be too careful whilst brewing.

(on the plus side, this thread may show up to a whole new Google audience...)

That is quite an interesting question! I am quite new to BIAB myself and I do have to brew bags. I've not really had a prob with hops etc being left in my boiler as I did get a hop strainer to fit to my tap - and it works great.

It is still a faff having to dispose of the hops from the bottom of the boiler at the end of the boil though, and giving it a clean out would be easier if the hops were removed via a bag. I can't actually see why it wouldn't work.

yep but you dont need to double bag, just pull the grain bag and then install the hop bag or probably better to make it a hop spider perhaps or just a simple tied sock?? ? as a fine mesh damp bag lipping over the pot wall tied with a drawstring could make a partial if not full seal and balloon up with the steam of a boil scattering hot scalding hops ;( ..

my hop spider setting up..
10369303376_5a0847b2ce_c.jpg

the silicone hose is the return from a pump attached to the drain which recirculates the boil thru the hop bag.

and in use,

10369778833_ec654a226e_c.jpg

sorry for rehashing old pics..

yep but you dont need to double bag, just pull the grain bag and then install the hop bag or probably better to make it a hop spider perhaps or just a simple tied sock?? ? as a fine mesh damp bag lipping over the pot wall tied with a drawstring could make a partial if not full seal and balloon up with the steam of a boil scattering hot scalding hops ;( ..

My thinking was that the second outside bag would remove a lot of the sediment and husk as well as the hops. It would give the hops more room to move about as well. Just thinking out loud so to speak, this might be garbage.

imho you should aim at containing all material like husks and grains within the grain bag, the odd bit slipping past sholdnt be a problem tho..

hop material can also be contained in a bag, cotton socking knotted each end is a popular choice.

However fine granular matter such as flour and the result of the hot and cold breaks is way too fine to be contained in a bag.

However wiser and more accomplished brewers than myself advised me when i was constructing my big boiler and pipe chiller that break material isnt a problem at all in the FV and can even be beneficial as it can supply nutrients to a growing yeast population..

In my big boiler i recirculate the boil thru a hop bag for max utilisation, prior to pumping thru an external cfc to the FV,

even tho i have a fine mesh hop bag the hot break passes thru it and remains in the bulk..

Dont stop thinking about your process tho U may just hit on a genius concept ;)

I find the hop remnants act as a bit of a filter bed when I'm draining into the FV. Cleaning my Burco is not too daunting, particularly now I've fitted an inline mains plug and socket so I can detach the mains cable which used to get in the way during cleaning.

Being from Yorkshire I've been tending to try and squeeze the last few drops out of the boiler which are always cloudy. I've made up my mind that with the next brew I'm going to forfeit the last litre so it is a cleaner beer. See what difference (if any) it makes.

I should take photos of how I do it. It's not to the rule book by any means but I've not really had anything undrinkable

Had two that were kits that I extract brewed. Had funny flavours. (Only one I chucked) but there is three bottles in the garden in the sunlight. Maybe I'll open it one day (nail varnish)

Anyway when I'm in a rush I just put the grains plus strike water in a bucket. Put somewhere warm. Never really checked temp.

Strain through a bag and sparge again. Let it soak for 10 mins in the wort.

Spin the bag to tighten.

Boil wort with hop addions. Don't strain. Wait a week. Rack into secondary.

(EDIT) THIS is where I remove the hops and cake carefully.

Wait another week or week and a half. Keg into 5ltr kegs you buy at asda or sainsburys. And Morrison's for that matter. Lol.

The gist of this is. I brew how I want to. I don't mind pushing the limits to see what happens. That's the whole idea. But when you find the winner.

It's your secret ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back