Bottle sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz_wxm

Reaction score
Hi All.. racked my tiny rebel red ale 4 days ago.. just noticed there seems to be a fair bit of sediment.. its even clinging to the side of the bottle in a cpl of places.. is this BAD not seen this before in my brews.

Yes I did rack it off into another bucket before bottling.. and i think did a good job of keeping the syphon off the bottom

not this time.. I've used kits before who supply filters with there kits so didn't think I needed one TBH

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You don't get filters with kits as it's your own equipment.Next time try something over the end of your hose to help reduce it and you could try transferring to a secondary FV and let it sit at 20c for two weeks as this will help the yeast to drop out.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I had 2 kits with similar filters.. the sock type that ties around the syphon.. I'll look for something and start using them now this brew looks awful

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If you can cold crash (either in primary or secondary) that'll reduce the sediment in bottles significantly. It's easy at this time of year, just make sure your fv is air tight and put it outside.

Bottles should be carbonated in the dark so yeast stuck to the side of a bottle usually means that it was carbonated somewhere where light could shine on the bottle.

I agree with all the above comments on reducing the amount of sediment in the future but with this batch you will just have to pour it gently.

My tips are:

1. Position the bottle so that you can see through the bottle glass. (I do mine over a white draining board.)

2. Start the pour gently and don't let the bottle "glug".

3. Empty the whole bottle in one smooth pour.

4. Stop the pour when you see that the yeast cloud is about to leave the bottle.

Obviously, the usual rules about tilting the glass to prevent a massive head still apply. :thumb:

Tbh I don't think you need a sock or anything around your filter unless you have a loose dry hop in there..

Leave your brew in the FV for plenty of time after fermentation has finished you should have a pretty solid trub cake.

Does much gunk come up via the tube? make sure you hold the racking cane against the wall towards you of the FV I would say a good inch above the trub cake, as you start to get slow slowly tip the FV towards you and you can see by the point your Cane sediment trap above the cake. Careful practice and you pretty much get the lot off without touching the cake.

Are you storing the bottles in the dark? as another mentioned above, if stored in the light the yeast has a tendency to stick to the sides instead of dropping to the bottom where you want it.

Tbh I don't think you need a sock or anything around your filter unless you have a loose dry hop in there..

Leave your brew in the FV for plenty of time after fermentation has finished you should have a pretty solid trub cake.

Does much gunk come up via the tube? make sure you hold the racking cane against the wall towards you of the FV I would say a good inch above the trub cake, as you start to get slow slowly tip the FV towards you and you can see by the point your Cane sediment trap above the cake. Careful practice and you pretty much get the lot off without touching the cake.

I'm very careful when syphoning.. and try keep it out of the trub..

Are you storing the bottles in the dark? as another mentioned above, if stored in the light the yeast has a tendency to stick to the sides instead of dropping to the bottom where you want it.

Yes they're stored in the dark.

If you can cold crash (either in primary or secondary) that'll reduce the sediment in bottles significantly. It's easy at this time of year, just make sure your fv is air tight and put it outside.

My bottles are now sitting in my cold dark shed.. and the sediment has now dropped by the looks of the side walls of the bottles ..will clear in time I hope.
:clap:

Bottles should be carbonated in the dark so yeast stuck to the side of a bottle usually means that it was carbonated somewhere where light could shine on the bottle.

I agree with all the above comments on reducing the amount of sediment in the future but with this batch you will just have to pour it gently.

My tips are:

1. Position the bottle so that you can see through the bottle glass. (I do mine over a white draining board.)

2. Start the pour gently and don't let the bottle "glug".

3. Empty the whole bottle in one smooth pour.

4. Stop the pour when you see that the yeast cloud is about to leave the bottle.

Obviously, the usual rules about tilting the glass to prevent a massive head still apply. :thumb:

Cheers I'd have never know without your skilled description on pouring :rofl:

+1 on all of that.
And obviously be careful when you pour your beer.
That's all you need to know.

Mea culpa! :doh:

I assumed that someone who didn't know how to filter out sediment might not know about more complicated stuff. :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I take it you're the forum expert then... :hat:

Latest posts

Back