brewbuilders 3kW elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have got brewbuilders 3kW elements. What flex should be used? At moment the cable seems to be 90C heat resistant, 1.5mm 3 core, should I be using higher temperature rated cable and if so has anyone got a code for it? thanks

I can't remember the name or brand but I used the same cable that's used to wire electric storage heaters into a flex outlet/fused spur.

I have got brewbuilders 3kW elements. What flex should be used? At moment the cable seems to be 90C heat resistant, 1.5mm 3 core, should I be using higher temperature rated cable and if so has anyone got a code for it? thanks
That should be fine, if you look HERE you will see it is for storage heaters etc, it might be worth fitting some flame retardant sleeving

If it's 240V then I'm pretty sure you need 2.5mm flex for that kind of amperage.
1.5mm is rated to 16 Amps, I=P/V therefore Current = 3000/240 = 12.5A though if I were fitting new flex I would probably fit 2.5mm

1.5mm is rated to 16 Amps, I=P/V therefore Current = 3000/240 = 12.5A though if I were fitting new flex I would probably fit 2.5mm

Sorry, you're absolutely right. For some reason I thought 1.5mm was only rated to 10A

It's the plug that'll get hot That's where the connections and points of resistance are. Google 'brew kettle melted plug'.

I assume at 3kW the element will be directly wired to the cable but you still have the wall plug to worry about.

I use those Neutrik powercon connectors so I have a detachable cable and a pig tail on the kettle.

With a long enough flex from element to connector they get hot but not too hot.

Don't mess about: for the difference in cost, go for a 2.5 sq mm cable. You'll end up with less heating effect, less voltage drop and less worry. Standard UK 13A socket outlets are rated ok for 3KW, just don't use two 3KW appliances in the same double socket outlet simultaneously. If worried, replace the socket outlet faceplate you're going to use with a brand new one. Alternatively, get a 16A (blue) "commando" socket outlet installed for the brew machine (E.g. 240V Industrial Range | Industrial Plugs & Connectors | Screwfix.com also available elsewhere).

It's the plug that'll get hot That's where the connections and points of resistance are. Google 'brew kettle melted plug'.

I assume at 3kW the element will be directly wired to the cable but you still have the wall plug to worry about.
Yes to this, I used to have that problem (how many plugs, and sockets, did I get through..). I use the commando plug socket now. The cable that was fitted by electrician I couldn't track and I need a slightly longer length, ended up with a heat resistant 1.5 sqmm cable. thanks for discussion.

Don't mess about: for the difference in cost, go for a 2.5 sq mm cable. You'll end up with less heating effect, less voltage drop and less worry. Standard UK 13A socket outlets are rated ok for 3KW, just don't use two 3KW appliances in the same double socket outlet simultaneously. If worried, replace the socket outlet faceplate you're going to use with a brand new one. Alternatively, get a 16A (blue) "commando" socket outlet installed for the brew machine (E.g. 240V Industrial Range | Industrial Plugs & Connectors | Screwfix.com also available elsewhere).
Rubbish.

Also plug tops are not designed for 2.5mm csa!

Agree with the commando type plug socket arrangement.

Latest posts

Back