Can you identify hop plants by the leaf?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidlandBrewer

Reaction score
This probley sounds like a stupid question.....

To cut a long story short, my wife bought me some hop seeds, they arrived in a paper evelope simply labeled 'hop seeds'... the seller then disapeared from the face of the planet and she cant remember what type they were....
I was very unhopeful when I planted them as I expected either nothing to grow or a hash plant to sprout up.... id even forgot I put them in a pot until a few weeks ago.....

Is there anyway of identifying what this is?
Any advice would be appreciated :thumb:

Hop.jpg

Could be anything. You might be able to tell what parentage it has if such documentation exists. Other than that I think it's down to smelling and assessing the aroma and taste from the hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be anything. You might be able to tell what parentage it has if such documentation exists. Other than that I think it's down to smelling and assessing the aroma and taste from the hops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What Hoddy said.. I don't think you can tell from the leaves, they all look very similar. The hops themselves might give you a clue, ie when they're ready, how big they are, how heavy the crop etc. But smelling & tasting must be favourite.

Is there not something about the sex of the plant determining if it's suitable for beer? I might have made that up!

Is there not something about the sex of the plant determining if it's suitable for beer? I might have made that up!

Correct on the above but untill they flower I have no idea if there girls or boys :-?
From what I understand for all intensive purposes male plants dont produce hops (a very few flowers for the purpose of pollination).
Also, from what ive read, if you keep male plants you lady plants make very seedy hops....

Please correct me if im wrong, I asked Yahoo (I didnt even know it still worked)!

David

I don't think you can get an accurate ID of the variety from the leaf but you will soon find out if it's a dwarf variety or not.

Meanwhile, you can eliminate very close relatives of hops with this... :???:

leaf.jpg

I don't think you can get an accurate ID of the variety from the leaf but you will soon find out if it's a dwarf variety or not.

Meanwhile, you can eliminate very close relatives of hops with this... :???:

Hmmm I don't think that's hops.........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

to get a known hop you need to use a clone, for example all Challenger hop plants are cloned from an original either by cutting or from root separation (rhizome).
like cannabis hops have male and female plants, the males produce pollen the females produce flowers and seed.
its only female plants that are cultivated.
if a female hop plant is pollinated and produces seeds the seeds will grow into a different strain with characteristics from both its parent plants. Hops grown from seed are a total punt.. you may get something great and then you may not.

Let the hop roulette begin then!
Itll be interesting to see if anything comes to fruit and what its like, im still very new at this so might reach out to the community (especially any local brewers) to help me identify it when the time comes :)
I'll keep you posted.

David

Im afraid that you cannot tell what type of hop it is from the leaf. Grow it as a ornemental plant, they are very nice architectual (sp) plants. If its female and does produce cones, do not use them in any beer. Heres why? Youve spent a lot of time and money on brewing, fermenting and conditioning your beer and the chances are the unknown hop will probably have ruined it. Only used named varieties of hops.

Godsdog/MidlandBrewer....Im having a major brew week next week, your welcome to come along anytime

Thanks for the offer Johnnyboy1965, im off on Monday if your free but then im in Sweden for the rest of the week with work.
Drop me a PM if your up for some homebrew shenanigans!

Latest posts

Back