Connecting pressure barrel to a Beer Tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandowftm

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum. Been reading a few threads on this forum but cant find definitive answer.
Im moving house soon, and the new house his a nice little shed I plan to turn into a mini bar.
I havent brewed in a while, but want to get some beer on the go again, as well as some wine.
I want to know how I go about connecting my pressure barrel to a beer tap, be it either a Lager/Bitter style, or a Cask hand pull type.
At the moment, I dont want to spend a fortune so need a good cost effective solution. My pressure barrel is quite old, I think it was originally from Boots and has a connector on the top that allows to add the small Co2 canisters.
I've read about installing a check valve, but not sure if this will still work with a modern style tap (like a John Smiths or a Fosters type).
Any help greatly appreciated!

I've seen people connect silicone tubing to the tap with a hose clip then step down to fit the beer tap. So tap's left open all the time. I'd be checking it can cope with the pressure, but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. Good luck

Thanks, would the little Co2 bottles (they are only a couple of inches long) be enough for this, or would I need to place the barrel higher up than the pump and let gravity do its thing? And is this a hand pull style or a more modern bar tap?

Ive also read elsewhere I can use something this this hand pump:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valterra-..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c4c96bce4

with the barrel in a similar way, would you agree?

Last edited:
Back