Dandelion Wine Issue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry35

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been having a bit of a brew day catch up today, in which I've racked my Dandelion wine. I started this on 23rd April, and the OG was 1090. I've watched this bubble away (not for the whole time!), and it's completely calmed down.

So I've racked today onto a canmpden tablet, and only then checked the gravity. I think i should have checked before using a CT because the gravity has only dropped to around 1050. It still tastes really sweet, so I'm not sure what's happened. Can I pitch some more yeast and revive this?

I've got a jamjar full of the same brew, as I jsut got my measurements out, and that's dropped to around 1016, and tastes different.

Any advice?

On a side note I've had a bit of a rush on, I've also bottled a Wurzels Orange Wine, and well underway to getting another WOW, red grape WOW and a gallon of ginger beer on.

Cheers

Garry

I'm no expert in wine but I'd say your yeast had died off too early.. What yeast did you use?

Moley, where are you?? :whistle:

If it's only down to 1.050 then there should still be several billion active yeasties who will laugh in the face of one stupid campden tablet.

Then again, only 40 points dropped in 4 weeks :hmm:

Temperature should be ok, what yeast did you use, what acid or nutrients?

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Moley, where are you?? :whistle:
I was here, just contemplating my reply and typing slower than you because I've been testing and bottling and testing and racking and racking and testing and ..... you should get the picture.

I've used youngs dried active yeast and yeast nutrient. Acid was 3 oranges in one gallon.

I steeped the flowers in water for 2 days, strained, warmed with sugar and oranges, cooled. Then into a DJ with nutrient and yeast.

It's been in the same place as a wurzels which has gone down to 994.

Forgot to say above, I've done elderflower champers today too.

No, I don't get it, it sounds to me like you've done everything right and the yeasties should have everything they like.

Was it a sachet yeast or out of a pot? Have you done anything else successfully with the same batch?

I would suggest that you mix up a starter bottle with some more yeast from a different source and see if it kicks off again. The 5% alcohol shouldn't bother them.

Thanks Moley, it's halfway through a pot of yeast, I've got a gervin sachet i can make a starter from.

The pot has been successful in other brews, I'll put it down as a one off...

I've used the same yeast for today's WOW and ginger beer, so will keep an eye on them.

G

So I've come back to check on the Dandelion wine, after repitching more yeast. It's defintely been active, there has been airlock action fairyl frequently.

It's still only down to 1020, which is still surprising.

I've racked into a clean DJ, and will let it take it's own course for a few weeks. I'm planning to leave this to mature in bulk for a while, so letting it go as is won't affect it, is that right?

Or would I be better off stopping fermentation and hiding the DJ in a cupboard for a few months?

G

Well I wouldn't have racked again if it's only been just over a fortnight since the previous posts.

Hide it in that cupboard and LEAVE IT ALONE for a couple of months before you even think of racking it again.

I'd forgotten about this topic though, Alan Clark's also having issues with dandelions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16160

Thanks, still learning that not all wine making is as quick as a WOW!

It's away in the larder right at the back where it'll stay for quite some time!

My first demi of dandelion has recently gone clear so I'm going to rack it tomorrow
Kind of assumed it was done, but I guess I'd better get the hydrometer out

Hydrometer says I can bottle, but as I tried to rack it I couldn't avoid stirring up some sediment, so (a) it's no longer clear, and (b) it started bubbling again.
Tastes fine.

This dandelion lark does seem to be a slightly fussy one, what can you do when you get a light sediment?? is there a way to fix it as such?

I had the same with my ginger beer, a mouse farts near it and it sets all the sediment off.

Latest posts

Back