Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using mini-kegs a while now. I only use bottles for any surplus beer that does not come near to 5 litres. I do not bother to buy cheap beer in mini-kegs in order to use the kegs. Just buy the empty kegs from The Home Brew Shop. I use two carbonation drops to prime. I don't know how many gm.s they come to. I then put them in the garage on the floor, near the corner, where it is always cool and then let them mature a few weeks or months. Push the tube into the plastic grommit and let the first pint come out under natural pressure. Then add the CO2 bulb for the remainder, adjusting the CO2 blanket by using the controller. You can expect to have fresh beer for weeks, in my opinion, once started. Cleaning: easy. When empty, half-fill with water and turn upside-down and swill it so the plastic grommit comes out with the water.

Currently fermenting about 23 litres of American Barley Wine. Eleven kg.s of pale malt, half a kg of crystal malt and half a kilo of various US hops. Final alcohol expected to be around 9 or 10%. Awesome!

Mmm. . A lovely Jaipur keg. Does this one look like a reusable one to you guys?
[URL=http://s17.photobucket.com/user/plusonemag/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-06-08%2019.44.38.png.html] [/URL]

Yup,mine is

DSC_0514.jpg

Send Thornbridge an email. From experience I can tell you they are very helpful.

Jaipur's lovely - I'd get one just for the beer anyway. Since I've been on the lookout for theses for homebrew - I have yet to see one anywhere in the supermarkets.

I was looking at these from leyland http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/beer-protector-for-easy-kegs-1494-p.asp. How do you guys reckon they work? By pumping all the air out to create a vacuum like those things you can get for wine bottles that do the same thing.So prolonging the life of the beer in the MK?

I would reckon that they pump air "IN" to the keg after the CO2 from secondary fermentation has finished.

Definitely a cheaper option to buy and maintain than a CO2 injector and if all you need it for is to maintain pressure for a few days to keep the beer flowing then it should work fine.

If my theory is correct then what it won't do is keep pressure on a keg for a week or more like a CO2 injector does; mainly because introducing air will also introduce something nasty and the beer will go off. (I'm lucky that way!) :doh: :doh:

I would reckon that they pump air "IN" to the keg after the CO2 from secondary fermentation has finished.

Definitely a cheaper option to buy and maintain than a CO2 injector and if all you need it for is to maintain pressure for a few days to keep the beer flowing then it should work fine.

If my theory is correct then what it won't do is keep pressure on a keg for a week or more like a CO2 injector does; mainly because introducing air will also introduce something nasty and the beer will go off. (I'm lucky that way!) :doh: :doh:

Thanks for the explantion. I'm looking for a cheapo party start option really. What I would like it for the beer not to go off after a few days. As I undertand things the party star tap keeps the beer fresh by replacing the secondary fermentation C02 with C02 from a bulb so you can keep the beer in the keg for as long as you like. So I 'm looking for something like that

If the pump, pumps air IN thats not what I'm looking for as I'm quite happy with the pressure from gravity tap at the bottom

I popped over to Leyland home brew today and picked up the Party Star Deluxe system. I got a can of Old Speckled Hen on the way home for something to test with as I read I could use the tap setup on one of these. Anyway, after drawing just over half a pint the OSH started to slow to a dribble. Rather than open the top to let air in as the tin says I pulled to red tab off and fitted the Party Star tap quite easily, then fitted a CO2 cartridge. I got the slight hiss as expected. I had the adjuster turned fully anti clockwise to off. Then introduced a quick burst of CO2 and got a nice smooth delivery of another half pint, leaving the adjuster off. After returning for a top up about half hour later (slow drinker :cool: ), the CO2 was empty. So was an expensive half pint. There was no sign of leaks and the regulator was definitely turned to off. The bulb felt very cold as if it had been feeding CO2. Even if I had left it turned on a bit it shouldnt have used the bulb so soon. Has anyone else had anything similar?

The same thing happened to me when I was testing my new set-up. i.e. The CO2 disappeared after a few minutes! (It's not a Party Star but as its out in the garage at the moment I can't check the make.)

I agree on the expensive bit because the one I have uses the 16gram capsules and they ain't cheap!

I intend to get an air pump for the simple reason that usually 5 Litres = 5 Days so I don't expect any beer to go off! :thumb: :thumb:

The same thing happened to me when I was testing my new set-up. i.e. The CO2 disappeared after a few minutes! (It's not a Party Star but as its out in the garage at the moment I can't check the make.)

I agree on the expensive bit because the one I have uses the 16gram capsules and they ain't cheap!

I intend to get an air pump for the simple reason that usually 5 Litres = 5 Days so I don't expect any beer to go off! :thumb: :thumb:

I got an air pump at the same time but thought I would try the CO2 instead on the Speckled Hen. If this second bulb empties at a similar rate then I will swap it for the air pump as there is a nice protective CO2 blanket on the beer and I cant see the keg lasting more than a few days once my sone gets home from camping tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back