Ey up, from Yorkshire :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdevir

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a complete new starter to all this home brewing and alchemy type stuff, so hoping to learn from all you masters out there. I've got a Woodfordes 'Norfolk Nog' micro brewery kit on its way to me as I type, so hoping to get started on that this weekend. The prospect of being able to make my own ale blows my mind.

Anyway, thanks for having me, cheers! :cheers:

Welcome to the forum.
This might be of help since you are just starting out
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
I would also check the yeast before you start your brew. If it comes in a packet that weighs about 7g it might not be enough, and your brew might stick i.e. finish before it should. Muntons, who make this kit and similar kits like the Wherry have acknowledged there is a problem and have said their new kits will have more yeast. The normal recommendation is to substitute the yeast. Wilko sell an ale yeast which is fine.
More here
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations

Welcome to the forum.
This might be of help since you are just starting out
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
I would also check the yeast before you start your brew. If it comes in a packet that weighs about 7g it might not be enough, and your brew might stick i.e. finish before it should. Muntons, who make this kit and similar kits like the Wherry have acknowledged there is a problem and have said their new kits will have more yeast. The normal recommendation is to substitute the yeast. Wilko sell an ale yeast which is fine.
More here
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations

Hello mate, thank you. See, I'm glad I came here because I wouldn't have had a clue about that! I'll have a look and make sure what the score is when my stuff gets here, nice one.

Don't forget - on thus forum there's no such thing as daft questions, only questions. Feel free to ask away.
However, remember: 10 homebrewers, 11 opinions :laugh2:
:laugh:

Cheers mate, I'll probably have loads once I get going :thumb:

Hi All ,
I've got a shedload of old Yorkshire brewery recipies for a full mash brew , Tetley's (1844-1916) , Henry Bentley, Eshaldwell Brewery , Woodlesford (1892-6) , Ward's , 1875-84 , 1927-58 , Tennant Brothers 1955-60 , and from North Yorkshire, Rose's of Malton 1895-8 .
I've not managed to get over to Doncaster Archives to look at the Darley's brewing book they hold but its on the list !! , if any members would like any recipies , drop me a message ,
Types : Pale Ale , IPA , Mild , Bitter , Keeping Beer , Stout & Porter , and Strong Ales , I'll upload a few list tomorrow if any members are interested ?
Cheers ,
Edd

Hi Mate ,
Old beers & brewing techniques have been a ruling passion of mine for a while now though its bloody frustrating at times , eg the Bentley breweries all did a version of "Old Timothy" but only the Woodlesford brewery's records have survived , and only for the 1890's , Grrrr!!!.
I'd be happy to share recipies etc ; any styles you prefer ??,
Cheers
Edd

Hi Mate ,
Old beers & brewing techniques have been a ruling passion of mine for a while now though its bloody frustrating at times , eg the Bentley breweries all did a version of "Old Timothy" but only the Woodlesford brewery's records have survived , and only for the 1890's , Grrrr!!!.
I'd be happy to share recipies etc ; any styles you prefer ??,
Cheers
Edd
Cheers pal. I'm a total newbie at the mo with no brews under my belt at the time of writing so recipes might just be just a step ahead of me yet :laugh2: researching old beers sounds interesting though mate :thumb:

Hi All ,
I've got a shedload of old Yorkshire brewery recipies for a full mash brew , Tetley's (1844-1916) , Henry Bentley, Eshaldwell Brewery , Woodlesford (1892-6) , Ward's , 1875-84 , 1927-58 , Tennant Brothers 1955-60 , and from North Yorkshire, Rose's of Malton 1895-8 .
I've not managed to get over to Doncaster Archives to look at the Darley's brewing book they hold but its on the list !! , if any members would like any recipies , drop me a message ,
Types : Pale Ale , IPA , Mild , Bitter , Keeping Beer , Stout & Porter , and Strong Ales , I'll upload a few list tomorrow if any members are interested ?
Cheers ,
Edd
I used to drink Tennants Queens bitter when I was a student in Sheffield in the late 1960s before they closed the brewery. Anything in your list that resembles that, or even the ordinary bitter? Ta

Latest posts

Back