First pressure ferment tomorrow....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, as the title really. Want to do a quick turn beer so giving Kveik a go and thought I'd dip my toe into pressure fermentation while I'm at it. I've got a Hornindal Kveik lined up for a clone of Bells Two Hearted. Its a recipe I've brewed before with success so will be interesting to see the change the Kveik makes.

I think I'm going to ferment at 32C - the temp range for the particular yeast I have is upto 35C according to the packet, so don't want to push it to the max, so 32C sounds good. My question is what about pressure? I was kind of thinking 15psi - again not wanting to push it overly hard. Does this sound like a successful plan or am I missing something critical with this yeast?

Thanks.

I think that raising the pressure, in this instance, would cut down on conditioning time, but possibly delay the fermentation by a similar time.

At 32degreesC you would need 30ish psi to condition simultaneously.

Hi, as the title really. Want to do a quick turn beer so giving Kveik a go and thought I'd dip my toe into pressure fermentation while I'm at it. I've got a Hornindal Kveik lined up for a clone of Bells Two Hearted. Its a recipe I've brewed before with success so will be interesting to see the change the Kveik makes.

I think I'm going to ferment at 32C - the temp range for the particular yeast I have is upto 35C according to the packet, so don't want to push it to the max, so 32C sounds good. My question is what about pressure? I was kind of thinking 15psi - again not wanting to push it overly hard. Does this sound like a successful plan or am I missing something critical with this yeast?

Thanks.
If you must pressure ferment keep it at 15 PSI max if you have a FermZilla don't forget to don the safety goggles.

I don’t use Kviek yeast, but when I pressure ferment I let it rise to 10 naturally and keep it there until the krausen subsides then up it to 15.

My hoppy beers have seen a big benefit from pressure fermenting, so have my lagers.

Don’t let Foxy put you off pressure fermenting in your Fermzilla, it’s a long story but he’s a fanboy for Kegland’s main rivals (although to be honest while I use Kegland gear in my kegging set up
I think I’ll stick with KegKing/FermenterKing when I upgrade my pressure FV because I have a Fermentasaurus already and really like it). There have been stories of cracking/splitting Fermzilla but they’ve mainly been form overuse and people trying to ferment at too high a pressure and stuff.

My hoppy beers have seen a big benefit from pressure fermenting, so have my lagers.

Don’t let Foxy put you off pressure fermenting in your Fermzilla, it’s a long story but he’s a fanboy for Kegland’s main rivals (although to be honest while I use Kegland gear in my kegging set up
I think I’ll stick with KegKing/FermenterKing when I upgrade my pressure FV because I have a Fermentasaurus already and really like it). There have been stories of cracking/splitting Fermzilla but they’ve mainly been form overuse and people trying to ferment at too high a pressure and stuff.
Nothing to do with being a fanboy of KK, though I am a fanboy of safe equipment.

Don’t want to get into the brand wars. It’s always struck me that the bottom jar of the fermzilla is a bit brittle so can easily pick up cracks if you were to be a bit clumsy with it that could lead to a problem. Think I’ll be treating it like bone China and maybe even buying a couple so I can rotate. Sugs on the Homebrew network doesn’t seem to have struggled with pressure fermentation with his so hopefully its a case of looking after the kit and not pushing up the pressures too high.

Don’t want to get into the brand wars. It’s always struck me that the bottom jar of the fermzilla is a bit brittle so can easily pick up cracks if you were to be a bit clumsy with it that could lead to a problem. Think I’ll be treating it like bone China and maybe even buying a couple so I can rotate. Sugs on the Homebrew network doesn’t seem to have struggled with pressure fermentation with his so hopefully its a case of looking after the kit and not pushing up the pressures too high.
A lot of people on the forum use them and like them. As long as you take care of it, keep a look out for any blemishes and pressure test it regularly it’ll be absolutely fine. They are designed for pressure fermenting after all!

Last edited:
A lot of people on the forum use them and like them. As long as you take care of it, keep a look out for any blemishes and pressure test it regularly it’ll be absolutely fine. They are designed for pressure fermenting after all!
Designed for pressure fermenting yes, it's the quality of the build that is the problem. There hasn't been one recorded mishap with the Australian made PET fermenters it the Chinese ones which have the problems.

Designed for pressure fermenting yes, it's the quality of the build that is the problem. There hasn't been one recorded mishap with the Australian made PET fermenters it the Chinese ones which have the problems.
Only one brew shop in the whole of the U.K. sells the KK gear, whereas most of them stock KL so it’s inevitable that there will be more KL related mishaps than KK. AFAIK there have been no exploding Fermzillas from any poster on this forum - I’m a member here and multiple Facebook brewing groups and I have seen a grand total of 2, and one of those admitted to fermenting at 35PSI.

Besides, the poor OP only asked for advice on pressure fermenting and you’ve made him feel like he shouldn’t pressure ferment because his. Every time the Fermzilla is mentioned you jump on and claim they all explode. It’s tedious.

Only one brew shop in the whole of the U.K. sells the KK gear, whereas most of them stock KL so it’s inevitable that there will be more KL related mishaps than KK. AFAIK there have been no exploding Fermzillas from any poster on this forum - I’m a member here and multiple Facebook brewing groups and I have seen a grand total of 2, and one of those admitted to fermenting at 35PSI.

Besides, the poor OP only asked for advice on pressure fermenting and you’ve made him feel like he shouldn’t pressure ferment because his. Every time the Fermzilla is mentioned you jump on and claim they all explode. It’s tedious.
Unfortunately it is way more than two, some as low as 10 PSI pressure have burst check out the face book pages, all I am doing is advising to take precautions as I would with any FermZilla user. Nothing more nothing less.

Last edited:
Everything is going great guns but unfortunately my new iSpindel is not reporting SG. Must have made an error in transferring the polynomial or something, so want to take a gravity reading so I can dry hop as fermentation is nearing an end. When do you think it'll likely be at that stage? Later this afternoon if fermentation started yesterday (pitched into fermentor about 2pm and by late evening was going great guns.?

I hate wasting 100ml every time I need to take a gravity reading so want to only take one if possible.

Thanks.

Ha. It is a fermzilla! Can’t say I must pressure ferment, but thought I’d give it a go.
Been using a fermzilla for pressure fermentation for a year and no problems at all !
I've not gone above about 25psi at about 22c . I find that gives a good headstart with conditioning.
I also start with zero pressure and let it rise naturally.
Just do your own thing and experiment 👍

Everything is going great guns but unfortunately my new iSpindel is not reporting SG. Must have made an error in transferring the polynomial or something, so want to take a gravity reading so I can dry hop as fermentation is nearing an end. When do you think it'll likely be at that stage? Later this afternoon if fermentation started yesterday (pitched into fermentor about 2pm and by late evening was going great guns.?

I hate wasting 100ml every time I need to take a gravity reading so want to only take one if possible.

Thanks.
Like you, I don't like wasting beer taking gravity readings , I use a picnic tap on my fermzilla and draw off just enough for a taste and a few drops on my refractometer, then using the brix refractometer calculator tool in brewfather I get an accurate gravity reading !

Last edited:
This was my first pressure ferment 4 years ago, the empty cube was the secondary to which I made an oxygen free transfer via the taps. Was it any quicker, no quicker than a usual ferment, the only advantage was it cleared quicker most likely reason the yeast being unable to tolerate the dissolved co2 in the beer. As it was an English bitter it was devoid of esters, but ended up an easy drinking beer straight out of the secondary with gravity pour.
001.JPG
002.JPG

I start off with no pressure or just a couple of psi, more pressure sooner if a "lager". Then after high krause I turn it up to conditioning pressure for the temp.

As stated that's quite high with kveik say 30 psi at 30 celsius. But I'm using fermentasaurus so touch wood, safe kit. Have accidentally fermented over 35 psi, yeast still works at high pressure just differently.
If you want expression use little or no pressure, certainly at first. If you want clean go pressure.

Latest posts

Back