Grainfather G30 V3 Malt Pipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I see MaltMiller are asking £165 for the V3 malt pipe which will fit into a V2 system. I have a V2 system, does anyone who has the V3 malt pipe, know if it offers any noticeable improvement in efficiency over the V2 pipe. I’m keen to know about efficiency, not ease of use etc. thanks.

(Damn, there's someone else after those v3 malt pipes ... I completely missed the boat with yesterday's restock, ... what am I going to do? ... I know ... )

They are a complete waste of money. Ease of use? Don't worry, these things are a complete nightmare. Efficiency ... now that's dead easy, you only have to work with single digits, but if you're really lucky, you might get as much as 10% and then the sums get really easy.

(Do you think that'll work? ... Can only try ... but got to come up with something else for anyone else.)

I don't have the V3 pipe, but honestly I can't see and gain in efficiency from a newer pipe. It just seems to be an expensive way to get around the slight annoyance of the silicone seals in the original pipe.

I've never understood what job the silicone seals do. If you had trouble with the seals, why not just leave them off and use the existing V1 plates without them?

I've never understood what job the silicone seals do. If you had trouble with the seals, why not just leave them off and use the existing V1 plates without them?
Noooo! They don't fit that well without the seals. The top one is fine without, but the bottom one can (and will!) fall out of the malt-pipe. It never happened to me with a malt-pipe full of malt, but it happened enough times "practicing" without the seal for me to never try it for real! Eventually I drilled a few small holes in the malt-pipes flange and wired the flippin' plate in (with seal). And blanked the hole in the plate and did away with the central pipes (anyone want an unused Grainfather Micro Pipework – G30/G70v1? ... Cheap!).

Hence, I like the new (hellish expensive) malt-pipe. (reminder to me ... must be quicker to order one when - if? - they come back in stock.).

Apart from the seals, the new v3 malt-pipe is spot-on for my habit of using the GF as a BIAB emulator! Full-length Boil Volume mashes and "no-sparge". The alternative is buying a second pot for heating "sparge water": A second pot? Sort of makes a mockery of "one-pot systems".

Grainfather aren't so daft-anti -"no-sparge" anymore either. The new brewing software accommodates "no-sparge" too. Heck, I've used their "top-of-the-range" G70-v2 "no-sparge" too (that has same malt-pipe configuration as the G30-v3).

(Damn, there's someone else after those v3 malt pipes ... I completely missed the boat with yesterday's restock, ... what am I going to do? ... I know ... )

They are a complete waste of money. Ease of use? Don't worry, these things are a complete nightmare. Efficiency ... now that's dead easy, you only have to work with single digits, but if you're really lucky, you might get as much as 10% and then the sums get really easy.

(Do you think that'll work? ... Can only try ... but got to come up with something else for anyone else.)
My theory was that the V3 pipe could perform better with recirculation and be more efficient as a result, but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to make much difference

My theory was that the V3 pipe could perform better with recirculation and be more efficient as a result, but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to make much difference
Suppose not. My reply was very tongue in cheek, but you knew that. Recirculation might be improved, might not, but is less likely to foul up. I doubt efficiency gets any boost (unless things badly foul up!). Pleasanter to work with, but you'd already dismissed "ease of use" as a motivation to buy.

Suppose not. My reply was very tongue in cheek, but you knew that. Recirculation might be improved, might not, but is less likely to foul up. I doubt efficiency gets any boost (unless things badly foul up!). Pleasanter to work with, but you'd already dismissed "ease of use" as a motivation to buy.
I know the silicone seals get a bit of a slating, but I’ve never really had a problem. After cleaning when everything is still wet I insert the bottom plate which goes in easily and leave it in place until next brew day. The seal on the top plate sometimes is a bit fiddly, but it doesn’t bother me too much, the bottom one on the other hand must be properly in place. I thought with the extra holes the V3 basket would circulate better, but if not I’d rather save the money.

Noooo! They don't fit that well without the seals. The top one is fine without, but the bottom one can (and will!) fall out of the malt-pipe. It never happened to me with a malt-pipe full of malt, but it happened enough times "practicing" without the seal for me to never try it for real! Eventually I drilled a few small holes in the malt-pipes flange and wired the flippin' plate in (with seal). And blanked the hole in the plate and did away with the central pipes (anyone want an unused Grainfather Micro Pipework – G30/G70v1? ... Cheap!).

Hence, I like the new (hellish expensive) malt-pipe. (reminder to me ... must be quicker to order one when - if? - they come back in stock.).

Apart from the seals, the new v3 malt-pipe is spot-on for my habit of using the GF as a BIAB emulator! Full-length Boil Volume mashes and "no-sparge". The alternative is buying a second pot for heating "sparge water": A second pot? Sort of makes a mockery of "one-pot systems".

Grainfather aren't so daft-anti -"no-sparge" anymore either. The new brewing software accommodates "no-sparge" too. Heck, I've used their "top-of-the-range" G70-v2 "no-sparge" too (that has same malt-pipe configuration as the G30-v3).
I stopped bothering with the seal on the bottom of the Malt Tube several brews ago, initially in frustration after 5 or 6 attempts to get the seal into place.
Just dough in a bit carefully at first and it is no issue with a 4.5kg grain bill.
Was a bit wary on today's 6kg Dubbel (GH recipe), but all went well and 80% BH efficiency.

The top plate, I always use the seal, as it makes the mash look much "cleaner".

I've never had problems with the seal. Just wet everything and it goes in easy. But I think I'm lucky as others say they do this and it pops off

Wrote this in a different thread, but it perhaps has more relevance here:

... The mash can be thick quite often and the wort won't drain through the grain bed as fast as the pump can pump it out (apparently does not happen with the V3 malt pipe). ... The overflow exists so that if there is too much wort at the top of the grain basket/malt pipe, it'll go down the overflow to prevent the pump running dry ...
That describes the feeling of discomfort I have about the "new" Grainfather malt-pipe. No bother for me because I most often use the GF in "no-sparge" mode. But the new malt-pipe; you can sparge as fast as you like. A standard mash system sparge too fast and it will result in flooding the grain bed. The old GF had a built-in indicator when you sparged too fast (sparge water started to drain down the overflow tube).

Doesn't prove the new malt-pipe is better. Think about it; You can sparge as fast as you like, but most of the sparge water runs around the mash, not through it like you'd want.

"No-sparge" and "batch sparge" ... no bother. But "fly sparge" needs a big dose of self-control to prevent it not doing what you didn't intend (i.e. not wash the grain). And to be honest I think for many homebrewers, what-the-eye-can't-see...

To be further honest ... I've got better things to do than waste time "fly sparging"! The returns for the effort just don't add up right.

Used the new malt pipe yesterday in combination with the new hop filter (false bottom), wort seemed much clearer than I remember and the boil also seemed much more vigorous which I think is partly due to that nice clear space at the bottom and less crud on the base allowing the element to perform better.

The gain from the malt pipe is no need to mess about with seals (these never used to trouble me) and the best gain no centre pipe to get in the way and no need for a top plate. This will of course appeal to certain brewers and not to others, it's a personal thing, I guess how much you use your G30 will make some get more use out of these things and how much longer you plan to stay with that equipment. It's not like you can't live without it though or if they're forcing you to buy either of the items.

IMG_4891.jpeg

Used the new malt pipe yesterday in combination with the new hop filter (false bottom), wort seemed much clearer than I remember and the boil also seemed much more vigorous which I think is partly due to that nice clear space at the bottom and less crud on the base allowing the element to perform better.

The gain from the malt pipe is no need to mess about with seals (these never used to trouble me) and the best gain no centre pipe to get in the way and no need for a top plate. This will of course appeal to certain brewers and not to others, it's a personal thing, I guess how much you use your G30 will make some get more use out of these things and how much longer you plan to stay with that equipment. It's not like you can't live without it though or if they're forcing you to buy either of the items.

View attachment 90312
What would you recommend, the new false bottom or the large mangrove jacks hop spider ? Similar cost

What would you recommend, the new false bottom or the large mangrove jacks hop spider ? Similar cost
I've only had chance to brew with whole, real test would be with pellets, a mate is doing a brew using it tomorrow and pellets. I did previously have and use the MJ spider, but I think I would choose this over the spider as you'll get way more movement and and contact with any hops using this over a spider.

I've only had chance to brew with whole, real test would be with pellets, a mate is doing a brew using it tomorrow and pellets. I did previously have and use the MJ spider, but I think I would choose this over the spider as you'll get way more movement and and contact with any hops using this over a spider.
Thanks Rakey

Back