GrainFather v other systems.

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Bigd2657, Mar 19, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Feb 22, 2019 #81

Clint

Clint

Clint

Hammered.....

So the pump draw off is above the dead space and the tap is the same on the Robo? No tap on the GF?? How is it drained?
    My gravity draw off of the wort is started in a controlled way to just start the wort moving without mass disturbance of the settled break material. How is this done with a pump?

2. Feb 22, 2019 #82

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Zephyr259

Landlord.

The GF uses a pump to drain as you pump through a counterflow chiller. I give it a good whirlpool after the boil and leave it to settle for 10 - 15 mins, the pump does draw the trub to the filter but then it acts as it's own filter and I only use pellet hops. Downside to a CFC is that the cold break gets into the FV, but that doesn't really matter unless you want to see lovely clear wort, I think the cold break is amusing as it looks like a "thing from the deep" lurking below your wort as it settles.

3. Feb 22, 2019 #83

Mungri

Mungri

Mungri

Regular.

The wort is pumped through the malt pipe to the chiller. You could use the ball valve on the malt pipe to slow the flow of wort if you wanted.
    I only ever use the ball valve when mashing if to much wort is going down the overflow pipe. Only ever have it fully open when pumping to the fermeter.
    Same as @Zephyr259, I'll whirlpool (by hand) if I've got a lot of hops in the brew.
    My brews clear quickly, usually 3-4 days into warm conditioning. The only problem I get is chill haze.
    It might be worth having a look at the instructions https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Grainfather-instructions.pdf if you're thinking of gettin one, or have a look at @strange-steve excellent guide.

4. Feb 22, 2019 #84

Jamthesun

Jamthesun

Jamthesun

I started my AG adventures with a Grainfather. I had previously done loads of kits and a few extract brews.

I have not regretted the decision once. I bought the GF, the conical fermenter and the sparge heater.

You definitely don't need the sparge heater - you could just use a big pot on the stove but it is easy.

You don't need the fermenter - you could use plastic buckets. Indeed if you want to use a brew fridge to control fermentation temp then it might be easier to use a bucket! I do like my fermenter though it works well and is easy to use and clean. I live in the UK so don't have to deal with extremes of temperature too much. I've found the inbuilt heater and the chiller pump works well enough for my needs.

The GF itself is a joy to use. I have not had any issues with stuck mashes, slow sparges, scorched wort etc etc. The only issue I had was when I knocked a pipe off into the GF whilst adding the grain. Bit of a pain but managed to retrieve it and carry on without too much problem.

You also get access to loads of support on the facebook group and on fora like this plus the app gives you access to loads of recipes to try.

Finally, the quality of the beer is so very much better than kits or extract. It tastes like real pub bought beer.

Go for it you won't look back.

5. Feb 22, 2019 #85

Tuizner

Tuizner

Tuizner

Janitor

the robobrew has a tap about an inch above the base and an inch below the false bottom (which does filter quite a lot of break material).

it also has a recirculation port in the bottom but easier to use the tap.

I also use a voile bag to filter any other crap into the FV as I find it impossible to get clear wort whether with a robobrew or regular copper (no matter how hard I try to whirlpool etc). Usually not much comes out of the robobrew though

6. Mar 14, 2019 #86

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

Here's a vid I made of my Brewster Beacon...a steal at £369!

Soyyojuli likes this.
  7. Mar 14, 2019 #87

kelper

kelper

kelper

I don't want to spend £700, so I'm looking at the Hopcat which is on offer at £399 with some extras thrown in, but the wort chiller is an additional item, however this is also reduced in price if you go for the offer. It's 50L.

https://www.hopcat.eu/product-page/hopcat-mk2-50l-pre-order

They seem very responsive when I 'chat' with them. It has a full UK warranty.

8. Mar 15, 2019 #88

SteveH

SteveH

SteveH

Got a Robobrew v3 arriving next week, very excited! :cheers3:

9. Mar 15, 2019 #89

David Heath

David Heath

David Heath

I have made various videos on this topic. I would say at this present time this one is the most relevant:-
    Hopefully you will see that this is a totally unbiased video, I actually own both systems personally. There is no clear winner between Robobrew or Grainfather, it is just about your budget and what features are important to you.

Chippy_Tea and DaryllLand like this.
  10. Mar 15, 2019 #90

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

OMG! You're a member on here! I'm a subscriber! athumb..

David Heath likes this.
  11. Mar 15, 2019 #91

David Heath

David Heath

David Heath

DaryllLand likes this.
  12. Mar 15, 2019 #92

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Great video man. I myself have been drooling over this machine. Soon...soooooon!

David Heath and DaryllLand like this.
  13. Mar 15, 2019 #93

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

Thanks Soyyojuli! I know that it’s very similar to a few that are on the market but when I saw it and the price I knew it was a good one to begin on. It’s a really cool thing!

Soyyojuli likes this.
  14. Mar 15, 2019 #94

Banbeer

Banbeer

Banbeer

Just ordered the Brewster Beacon after watching @DaryllLand Vlogs, should be brewing on Tuesday next week athumb..

DaryllLand likes this.
  15. Mar 15, 2019 #95

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Its an awesome machine. I also really liked the water level in the outside. It's also a little lower than the rest of the machines. Making it good for the countertop. The temp control is also really good. Of by 0.2-0.3 degrees at most. Only reason I haven't bought it yet is that it's a little steeper here in Norway. Going for about 5300kr, 520 pounds. Please keep doing videos brewing on this machine. There isn't a lot of them. Cheers

DaryllLand likes this.
  16. Mar 15, 2019 #96

David Heath

David Heath

David Heath

Ive not tried the Brewster Beacon yet, I have heard that it is pretty good.

DaryllLand likes this.
  17. Mar 15, 2019 #97

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

OMG!!! This is amazing!!! You have to put some pics up when it comes! I hope you like it as much as I do! What’s the first thing ya gonna brew?

18. Mar 15, 2019 #98

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

DaryllLand

THATS a bummer about cost in Norway! Maybe you could see if you can do a deal with the Brewolution guys to get some other stuff in the price. A couple of beer kits maybe? I’ll keep the vids coming...I’m gonna do an IPA in next few days so can’t wait! Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot!

Soyyojuli likes this.
  19. Mar 16, 2019 #99

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

They only sell this machine through secondary vendors here in Norway and they take their cut so it's more expensive. Maybe directly from Denmark would be better? Anyway great video man. Well spoken, good quality and very informative. Can't wait for the next one. Maybe make one of the brewing day and one pointing out different problems if any you encounter.
    In my opinion this machine looks better than the GF. Shinier, if you know what I mean. The pump is also very strong and will empty out the wort in under 5 min to the FV. What kind of IPA are you going to make? I just made a hüll melon pale ale with a touch of summit for bitterness. Smelled awesome. I used my plastic brewery.(basically, I made my own brewing machine using buckets and heating element etc. Works great, even though its not a looker).

DaryllLand likes this.
  20. Mar 16, 2019 #100

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Soyyojuli

Just saw your video of the Brewster in action. Plum Porter! Sounds and looks amazing.

DaryllLand likes this.