Growlers kegs etc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 5 litre keg from Maltmiller and find that using it together with 19 Litre corny kegs gives me lots of options, the main benefit for me is I can split a 23 litre brew between the 5 and 19 litre kegs then I ussually drink the 5 quite young and let the bigger keg age a bit.

Have to agree with all of the above. I have one corny (atm) and two 10L Dark Farm mini kegs. I invite friends to share in brew day on the condition that they buy a 5L mini keg to take their share away after fermenting. I HATE bottling and I’ve never looked back. With half a dozen friends each with a 5L mini keg and my own it makes it quite easy to package brews when the time comes. It does mean I’ve spent a couple of thousand with Gareth at Dark Farms, but most of that is facilitating my friends’ purchases rather than my own money

The big advantage of the mini kegs over the corny is that they fit in a fridge (with the shelves and salad drawer removed). There’s no way I could get a corny in there so would need a serious fridge upgrade.

I do love the corny though and it works out a lot cheaper because you don’t have to buy a beer spear separately - the keg itself is similar in price to a mini, and you still have to buy a gas regulator and tap.
To see some photos, go to my brewery Instagram page @beerfoundryuk.
https://instagram.com/beerfoundryuk

Malt Miller are selling 10 litres kegs for £49 and you can pickup a beer spear for about £20 on eBay. I would use a gas line from the Sodastream setup I use for my Cornys and buy another beer line and tap. So about £80 which is very tempting.

Attachments

• B1481333-3055-4DF3-A754-0E64E1698535.png
    B1481333-3055-4DF3-A754-0E64E1698535.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 86
Brew Keg tap seem to have some great offers on kegerator swag...two keg full set up £200....
That's what I have. £20 for a tall fridge and £24 for 6.5kg of co2 and I haven't looked back. I like hoppy pales and the difference in quality is amazing.

I hate threads like this because it makes me want to change to kegs! The only issue I have (apart from trying to justify the cost) is that it would have to go in the garage (I already have 2 tall fridges in there I use for fermenting/conditioning) and I’d have to either fill a growler to bring in for the night’s beer or keep traipsing out to the garage.

I hate threads like this because it makes me want to change to kegs! The only issue I have (apart from trying to justify the cost) is that it would have to go in the garage (I already have 2 tall fridges in there I use for fermenting/conditioning) and I’d have to either fill a growler to bring in for the night’s beer or keep traipsing out to the garage.

Sounds like you enough fridges to cope. I have two. One for fermenting and the other for cornies.

Sounds like you enough fridges to cope. I have two. One for fermenting and the other for cornies.
It’s not really the fridges (the plan would be to convert the shorter of the two because it has a stronger door seal), it’s the effort of leaving the house and going into the garage.

It’s not really the fridges (the plan would be to convert the shorter of the two because it has a stronger door seal), it’s the effort of leaving the house and going into the garage.
That what was holding me back but realised it would be a while until I built my garden bar. I don't mind doing it now but don't drink much. Summer time i am outside anyway

Latest posts

Back