Hawthorn Berry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightHawk

Reaction score
Hi there everybody this is my second attempt at making wine......So last year i made Hawthorn Berry wine its been in the Demi for a year after polishing (not sure if thats the right word) and adding Honey over the year.... I have now bottled it.. it has come out really nice and clear no cloudyness to it and it tastes great but it has the color of malt vinegar is that " what color Hawthorn Berry wine is ment to be " so the short of my Question is what color should Hawthorn Berry wine be ? Should it be a White or Red coz this is inbetween both. Tastes Great Tho

Last edited:
Hi there everybody this is my second attempt at making wine......So last year i made Hawthorn Berry wine its been in the Demi for a year after polishing (not sure if thats the right word) and adding Honey over the year.... I have now bottled it.. it has come out really nice and clear no cloudyness to it and it tastes great but it has the color of malt vinegar is that " what color Hawthorn Berry wine is ment to be " so the short of my Question is what color should Hawthorn Berry wine be ? Should it be a White or Red coz this is inbetween both. Tastes Great Tho
I've made hawthorn wine for three years and reckon it's the best and easiest to make, especially that the fruit is so incredibly prolific. I've never really tried to clear it, so it tends to be a bit cloudy, but the taste is gorgeous.
Twice this summer we had visitors staying, and each time we opened a bottle of decent red wine, and each time they opted to drink the hawthorn in preference!
Took 6 bottles to a garden party with the same reaction, despite it being cloudy.

Last week I started 2 buckets each ten pint using seven and a half pounds berries, and today I've gathered another eight and half pounds berries for another lot. I need to find more buckets!

Hi, I tried Hawthornberry wine, but with much less success. Mine had a dry and bitter taste to it (despite the appropriate S.G.) It sounds as if you achieve a good wine each year, would be interested to know your recipe.

Should it be a White or Red coz this is inbetween both
The terms red and white wine only really applies to grape wines. Sure you can make a red (colour) wine from, say, raspberries - but it isn't going to taste anything like a `proper' red wine. So brown is fine if it tastes good.

The terms red and white wine only really applies to grape wines. Sure you can make a red (colour) wine from, say, raspberries - but it isn't going to taste anything like a `proper' red wine. So brown is fine if it tastes good.
My Hawthorn is a browny colour, and when I haven't cleared it properly.is a real muddy brown. But tastes good.

Hi, I tried Hawthornberry wine, but with much less success. Mine had a dry and bitter taste to it (despite the appropriate S.G.) It sounds as if you achieve a good wine each year, would be interested to know your recipe.
I've tried 2 different recipes, one with raisins added and then without. Both were good, but leaving the raisins out better. I hate the background flavour of raisins that seems to be there in too many recipes.
I'll try to dig out the recipes, but if I don't please chase me up as my memory can be as cloudy as my hawthorn wine.

Back