Help with what I might/might not like...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Can you bunch of smashers help me with what sort of kit I should try starting my brewing journey with? Maybe based on what mainstream beers I do and don't like? Thinking mainstream as more people will know them.

Marstons Pedigree
Sharps Doombar
Sharps Atlantic
Wychwood Hobgoblin
Brackspear Oxford Gold
Greene King St Edmunds
Robinson's Trooper

Don't Like
Brewdog Punk IPA
Thornbridge Jaipur
Any IPA I've ever tried

Is it that I don't like hoppy flavours, or is it certain types of hops that I'm not keen on.

Grateful for any advice. I figure that I may as well make something that (provided it works) is something that I'll actually LIKE drinking.!!

Mercy buckets

Most of the beers you like use English hops, the ones you don't like use lots of American hops. Sharps Atlantic uses American hops, I think, though I've never tried it - but it probably uses much smaller quantities than the likes of Punk and Jaipur.

The English hopped beers have much less emphasis on hops for their flavour, and are more malt focused. Punk and Jaipur are all about the hops, and are American style IPAs, brewed in the UK.

Edit: sorry, that doesn't help with kit choice much does it?! So, I'm no kit expert, but target kits that make English styles, and avoid the words American and IPA! Look for English bitters, English pale ales, Brown ales, Porters and maybe stouts, if you like Guinness and other very dark beers. Kits brands that get pretty consistently good reviews are things like Coopers, Better Brew, Simply, Young's, Festival, John Bull, St.Peter's, Woodfordes, and maybe Wilko's own brands. Check out the reviews of specific kits in the kit review section.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56558

Cooper's English bitter and original stout score well in reviews and are extremely popular. Simply pale ale is very popular, and so is Woodfordes Wherry.

St Peters Ruby is a great kit.

Took the words right out of my mouth CreweBrewer. Sounds like have very similar beer taste to me Notlaw. The ruby was one of the first kits I tried and I think it was probably the best. Needs at least 6 weeks in the bottle but makes a very nice pint.

Took the words right out of my mouth CreweBrewer. Sounds like have very similar beer taste to me Notlaw. The ruby was one of the first kits I tried and I think it was probably the best. Needs at least 6 weeks in the bottle but makes a very nice pint.

It's a hell of a kit when it's done right and had the right conditioning. In my opinion it's on par with an extract brew. As an AG Brewer I have actually thought about doing this kit again.

Dave

Milestone Lions Pride or Woodefordes Wherry kits would both be up your street.

If you go for the Wherry kit its worth picking up a gervin or nottingham yeast sachet (11-12gram) to use instead of the yeast sachet supplied with the kit. The Wherry kit yeast is well known for sticking halfway through fermentation. Buying a different yeast sachet (although you shoudn't have to) is worth the £2 it will cost you to avoid a stuck fermentation.

The other woodfordes kits are decent too, Admirals Reserve is a slightly stronger alternative to the wherry

Another thumbs up for Wherry, brew it a bit short, 20l was what I went for and it was superb.

Latest posts

Back