Hi! Here's my first recipe!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subnetix

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 21, new to brewing, and have just finished my first brew!

As an introduction, I would like to share with you all my recipe:

Lemon Drop - All Grain IPA

Grains
4.5kg Best Pale Malt
0.5kg Caramel Malt

Hops
100g Magnum Pellets AA 10.5%
100g Lemon Drop Pellets AA 5.2%

90 Min Boil

Hop Schedule:

25g Magnum 90 mins
25g Magnum 60 mins
25g Magnum 30 mins
25g Magnum 15 mins
25g Lemon Drops 15 mins

Dry Hop:
25g Lemon Drops 5 days
25g Lemon Drops 10 days
25g Lemon Drops 12 days

Bottle Conditioning for 2 weeks

Hi Subnetix, Welcome to the forum.

Your recipe looks good, the grain will give a good strong dark bitter. I use Magnum a lot for bittering, but have never used it later in the boil. I'm not sure what the three separate dry hop additions will add over a single addition after say 10 days, but it should be a good hoppy brew.

Hi
just run the hops through brewers friend and without the Lemon drop hops it at 110 IBU it looks very bitter to me with magnum at 90, 60,30 and 15

Hi. Great that you are getting stuck into AG at 21!

Please don't be offended, but I agree with the Baron, that will be a very bitter beer indeed. Now that may well be to your taste and what you intended, but I would point out that whilst you generally buy hops in 100g you don't have to use the whole amount in one brew.

Happy brewing and good luck

Thanks all!

It was very bitter when I had a quick taste test before bottling, and at the time it was something that did worry me a little.

However, after a couple of weeks in the bottle, it seems to at least be to my tastes!

That being said, I am considering to reduce the amount of magnum in the next batch, in the hopes of sharing it with some friends... my particular palette is unique! Hahaha

Yeah don't me to offend but there is a wealth of brewing knowledge on this forum - do your recipe and post it for comments before brewing and as Oneflew says if you intended it to be very bitter well done if not see how it turns out and it may still to be your liking
Happy brewing

Of course not!

I'm just a beginner. To be perfectly honest, I'm just happy it's not a total disaster and something I can work on to improve! Haha

That's part of the reason I am here, to soak up as much information and advice from people who have been doing this sort of thing for years!

Thanks for the warm reception! :)

Ha
Of course not!

I'm just a beginner. To be perfectly honest, I'm just happy it's not a total disaster and something I can work on to improve! Haha

That's part of the reason I am here, to soak up as much information and advice from people who have been doing this sort of thing for years!

Thanks for the warm reception! :)
have you tried Brewers Friend yet its free with 5 recipes (you can change the recipes many times if you want) it will give you lots of scope to experiment and help you to achieve the style you want

Ha

have you tried Brewers Friend yet its free with 5 recipes (you can change the recipes many times if you want) it will give you lots of scope to experiment and help you to achieve the style you want

Not yet!? Where might I be able to find this?

just type brewers friend in to google and sign up its free for the 5 recipe version as I have said once you have brewed a recipe print it off and just change the recipe to your next one so you do not need to subscribe until you want to. You will learn a lot by just playing with it about hops malts etc

as Clint says its called the Bible by brewers and has loads of recipes to start you off or to change so less chance of a mishap and a good chance of a great beer

as Clint says its called the Bible by brewers and has loads of recipes to start you off or to change so less chance of a mishap and a good chance of a great beer

I'll definitely have to have a look into those! I've got audible also, for when travelling to work and such. I'll download what I can find! :D

Any other recommendations for to look at?

Err. ..no! It's forum rules you drink beer and stay on until very late either asking loads of "daft" questions, talking tripe or taking the ****.....it's the law!

but I would point out that whilst you generally buy hops in 100g you don't have to use the whole amount in one brew.

Unless the hops are mosaic.... 100g of mosaic in a beer is awesome!! :p

Welcome Subnetix. :thumb: Supporting what the others have said about the Greg Hughes book, it is a very very good book! The Graham Wheeler one isn't bad. The John Palmer one though is my least favourite, he's too obsessed with explaining the science. I'm always going back to my Greg Hughes and Graham Wheeler books though, with the occasional glance at Clone Brews by Tess and Mark Szamatulski for ideas and inspiration. If I could have just one book though, it would be Greg Hughes, Home Brew Beer, it's THAT good.

In addition to the books mentioned above, I also like Brew by James Morton. He gives a good run through on the technical side but in an easy to read style (a bit like talking to your mates in the pub or to us here!). He also has some recipes including some heavily hopped US pales and IPAs. If you want easy to follow recipes in most beer styles, then you can't go wrong with the Greg Hughes book.

Back