How are you getting on with your new G40?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fgoulding

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade from my Brewzilla 35L to something larger and the G40 (despite it's cost) is still on my list.

So, I wondered how all of you new "early-adopter" owners are getting on.

Any surprises (good & bad)? Anything you would change? And can you get 2 kegs out of it?

I've seen some hacks on YouTube already coming into play (attachments for the hose and external taps etc).

But it would be great to hear from some real users.

Thanks in advance!

I have done ten brews in mine so far. Generally it is a great piece of kit but with a few shortcomings.

My main gripe is that, because the bottom screen is always in place, grain from the mash re-circulation can collect against the inner part of it, partially blocking it. I am going to use a BIAB bag in the mash pipe for my next brew and see if that helps. Another idea I had was to make a fine mesh auxiliary bottom screen for the mash pipe (like the one available for the Brewzilla). If the BIAB bag is a non-starter that will be my next move.

It is not practicable to use leaf hops without a hop spider (which I hate) as any bits of leaf getting past the bottom screen will block the pump. If the pump is blocked there is no way to drain the kettle, which is a real pain. When mine is out of guarantee I intend to put a tap in the side near the bottom.

The boil is always on full. GF have promised a boil power control in the GF app. but this has not arrived yet. It is also very heavy - as I have a bad back I had to build a trolley to use mine on.

Having said all that, I do not regret buying it. It is very easy to use with the GF app., it attains and holds temperature very well and it is very efficient - I normally get 84%.

There is a Facebook G40/G70 group which has a lot of useful information.

I have done ten brews in mine so far. Generally it is a great piece of kit but with a few shortcomings.

My main gripe is that, because the bottom screen is always in place, grain from the mash re-circulation can collect against the inner part of it, partially blocking it. I am going to use a BIAB bag in the mash pipe for my next brew and see if that helps. Another idea I had was to make a fine mesh auxiliary bottom screen for the mash pipe (like the one available for the Brewzilla). If the BIAB bag is a non-starter that will be my next move.

It is not practicable to use leaf hops without a hop spider (which I hate) as any bits of leaf getting past the bottom screen will block the pump. If the pump is blocked there is no way to drain the kettle, which is a real pain. When mine is out of guarantee I intend to put a tap in the side near the bottom.

The boil is always on full. GF have promised a boil power control in the GF app. but this has not arrived yet. It is also very heavy - as I have a bad back I had to build a trolley to use mine on.

Having said all that, I do not regret buying it. It is very easy to use with the GF app., it attains and holds temperature very well and it is very efficient - I normally get 84%.

Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to post :)

Thanks from me as well DC.

Does the partial blockage at the bottom cause any issues, and do you need to take action?

Thanks from me as well DC.

Does the partial blockage at the bottom cause any issues, and do you need to take action?
It hasn't caused issues as such, but the diameter of the bottom part is about 5 inches, so even a small build up there has the potential to reduce pump efficiency for whirlpooling and pumping out to the chiller. I may be fretting about nothing as I have only had one serious blockage and that was caused by leaf hops getting into the pump, not by grain particles on the bottom screen.

I tried using a BIAB bag in the grain pipe today and it was an unmitigated disaster - it did not sit happily in the GF (probably because the grain pipe is as wide as it is high) and I got so many lumps when doughing in that I grabbed the bag and tipped the contents into the grain pipe and carried on as normal. I may try using a fine screen in the bottom of the malt pipe (on top of the existing screen) as I used one of these when I had a Brewzilla and I think it helped.

There have been many discussions about the bottom screen on the G40/G70 FB group. The most important thing is to make sure that the screen is a tight fit in the GF body so it cannot lift in use. Mine was a bit loose so i put four small crimps in the lower ring using some heavy duty wire cutters: this made the screen a tight fit in the body of the GF and I have not had any problems with it coming loose since.

We need to remember is that the G40 is a new piece of kit and there are inevitably minor shortcomings and problems which the homebrew community are acknowledging and finding solutions for. Despite the niggles it is an excellent machine, and I don't regret buying it for a moment.

I have fit mash and Sparge manifold that simplifies distribution beautifully.
19DC9D1F-E31C-4C30-B435-2A441BA2A84E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back