Invert bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteoc

Reaction score
Would inverting bottles while conditioning help with not getting sediment into the glass.

I'm thinking conditioning all bottles upside down, then slowly turn the right way up. this will result in the **** being in the lid which then when coming to pour is simply taken off removing said **** with it.

The only downside to this that I can see is cleaning........will be a right bugger!

You would have to wait until the yeast had compacted right down in which case if it was on the bottom it wouldn't have moved in any case. Also you may find the volume of yeast may be greater than the cap and thus you will have yeast sediment in the neck defeating the object.

The longer you leave the bottles 2-3 months, the more compacted the yeast becomes and will stay on the bottom. Some yeast is better than others at compacting, Nottingham is very good US-05 not so good.

The way you pour and also how carbonated it is all affect the sediment. the majority of time I can get every last drop out of a bottle and still have a clear pint.

Finally as I always say if your beer is not clear going into the bottle it isn't going to be clear coming out, so if you want to pour crystal clear beer then it needs to be crystal clear going in.

peteoc said:
Would inverting bottles while conditioning help with not getting sediment into the glass?quote]

NO! All the sediment would now be at the top of the bottle and primed for decanting into your glass. Gravity dear boy, gravity. It cannot be avoided.

As for beer having to be clear when it goes in, in order for it to be clear when it comes out, I would suggest this is not true. IME, Murky beer can go into a bottle, it just takes a little longer for clear beer to come out.

Mucky beer will clear in the bottle but you will be left with a shed load of sediment that will get disturbed when you open it no matter how long you leave it.

graysalchemy said:
Mucky beer will clear in the bottle but you will be left with a shed load of sediment that will get disturbed when you open it no matter how long you leave it.

how do you clear your beer before bottling?

leave it in PFV for an extended period of time?

only asking because i find this intresting.

I always bottle with beer that isn't clear - even when I've lagered for a couple of weeks. It eventually clears in the bottle and I never have any trouble leaving the sediment behind when I pour a glass. I have more storage space for bottles than I have brewing fridges for FVs.

Ferment out in an fv then a few days latter transfere to a clean FV and cool it on a cold concrete floor. Then once it is clear carefully transfer back into a clear fv with a tap for bottling. That way the bulk of any yeast and crud will stay in the FV's.

This forum seems to be split on using a secondary FV saying that transferring will introduce oxygen and increase risk of infection, I say the benefits far outweigh any risk (if any).

I never use a secondary vessel, after fermentation is complete I always cool to below 5c and leave for a week. Then rack into my bottling bucket. All the yeast gets tightly compact and I bottle very clear beer.

graysalchemy said:
This forum seems to be split on using a secondary FV saying that transferring will introduce oxygen and increase risk of infection, I say the benefits far outweigh any risk (if any).
The objection to secondaries is not the risk of infection but that it has no benefit and will actually make your beer clear slower.

Latest posts

Back