Is all rye malt around 30 ECB?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just brewed a session IPA which was meant to be a single malt beer with golden promise as the base malt. At the last minute I swapped out 800g of Golden Promise for rye malt from a total grain hill of 6kg.

The wort was much darker than I was expecting and when I updated the recipe I realised the Crisp rye malt was 30 ECB. I thought it was a pale malt but that's more like a Munich in colour. The wort tasted great but was much more amber than I'd intended.

Is all standard rye malt this level of kilning or can you get a pale ale (ECB 5-7) type rye malt?

I made my saison yesterday expecting the rye malt to 28 ebc. When I got the packet out it was pale rye malt at 5 ebc.

Crisps Rye Malt is 25 ebc. Or at least this batch I have is. Pale Rye will be lower.

Crisp describes its own rye malt as 13 - 35 EBC. Quite a wide range. Crisp does things differently....

Weyermann rye malt is 4 - 10 EBC.
Fawcett 7 - 10 EBC
Warminster is Max 7 EBC

My Rye I get from THBS is generally around the 6 mark as Clib has said the Crisp is such a wide variation which points to me that they have rather large inconsistencies in their method, not good for repeat recipes

My Crisp Pale Rye (whole), rather old, it's time I slung it, says "EBC 5.3". But the colour of it - Fairly darkish or "mid" green! Not sure how they determine the colour depth (EBC is all shades of brown, not green!), but I've been poking about with beer colour perception, and I can guarantee it's something complex. No doubt it involves 24ct gold sickles and full moons? EBC if I remember right is optical, at a certain wavelength of light, all I imagine incompatible with the way Americans do it. And then what do you measure? Not the grain husks, possibly some sort of extract? How does this relate to different grain?

I remember when I brewed with mine it came out darker than expected. Someone suggested it was a misprint, more like 35 EBC than 5.3. Seemed to fit.

Basically, it's Voodoo. Wait until you need some more, sharpen your golden sickle, and go out and get some in.

My Crisp Pale Rye (whole), rather old, it's time I slung it, says "EBC 5.3". But the colour of it - Fairly darkish or "mid" green! Not sure how they determine the colour depth (EBC is all shades of brown, not green!), but I've been poking about with beer colour perception, and I can guarantee it's something complex. No doubt it involves 24ct gold sickles and full moons? EBC if I remember right is optical, at a certain wavelength of light, all I imagine incompatible with the way Americans do it. And then what do you measure? Not the grain husks, possibly some sort of extract? How does this relate to different grain?

I remember when I brewed with mine it came out darker than expected. Someone suggested it was a misprint, more like 35 EBC than 5.3. Seemed to fit.

Basically, it's Voodoo. Wait until you need some more, sharpen your golden sickle, and go out and get some in.

Absolutely magic rant, peebee, are you descended from the Druids, perchance?

I've been using quite a bit of rye malt in my brews and I've seen them from 6.25 EBC to 300 EBC (see below).
TF_rye_pale_malt.jpg
Dingemans_chocolate_rye_malt.jpg

Back