Is two bottles of wine night every other day too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that by (mostly) restricting myself to not drinking between Mon - Thurs, I enjoy the the first pint on a Friday evening SOOoooo much better :-)
It ain't easy though...
Thats what I do, like you say it's not easy but hey what a FRIDAY

images.jpg

All I know is that by (mostly) restricting myself to not drinking between Mon - Thurs, I enjoy the the first pint on a Friday evening SOOoooo much better :-)
It ain't easy though...

That's my approach also. Never drink Monday-Thursday, unless it's someone's birthday or something.

It just so happens that I'm writing this on a Friday morning, so really looking forward to a few Juicy Session IPAs tonight, that are currently chilling in the fridge.

That's my approach also. Never drink Monday-Thursday, unless it's someone's birthday or something.
Same (Although I never drink Sunday-Thursday). My only exception is over Christmas and if I’m on annual leave from work - even having said that I’m off this week and my bottle of Paulaner and 2 Vienna lagers last night were my first drinks of the week, and that was only because I was in Markies yesterday and picked up a Paulner “for research”.

Last edited:
i admire the discipline of those abstaining weeknights.

For me, Monday - Thursday- sessions beers. weekend whatever i want.

I aim to have three non drinking days a week but normally works out at two

It ain't easy though...
This is what I try to stick to, make an exception if I’m on annual leave nutmon the whole I have managed to stick to it.

As I understand it:
Up to 14 units per week - absolutely no effect on health at all
Up to 40 units - some effect on health but not too much
Over 40 units - noticeable effects on health

So if the OP is on 60+ units a week, long term he'll start to notice ill effects.

Easy way to work out units is look at the %ABV - that's how many units there are in a Litre.
So for beer, 2 x 500ml bottles at 5% ABV = 5 units.

Also if you go to your doctors and he asks how many units you drink per week, don't tell him 35 units, say you don't know but that you drink 2 bottles of beer a day... and he'll say well that's nothing to worry about.

As I understand it:
Up to 14 units per week - absolutely no effect on health at all
Up to 40 units - some effect on health but not too much
Over 40 units - noticeable effects on health

So if the OP is on 60+ units a week, long term he'll start to notice ill effects.

Easy way to work out units is look at the %ABV - that's how many units there are in a Litre.
So for beer, 2 x 500ml bottles at 5% ABV = 5 units.
I'm not sure if the first part of your post is accurate or not health wise, but i really like that units in a litre Mnemonic I will remember that.

When i was working i worked nights for 15 years the look on the postmans face used to kill me i would some mornings be sat there with a pint in hand watching tv he would amble to door and post the letters with a look of confusion, i told him one morning my 8am was his 5pm whiched confused things even more :laugh8::laugh8::beer1:

That's Hong Kong off the holiday list...
On about fat....pure fat isn't supposed to be bad for you at all in moderation... we're dead without it...it's processed/ hydrogenated that's bad. Alcohol is classed as "empty" calories or something like that..

That's Hong Kong off the holiday list...
On about fat....pure fat isn't supposed to be bad for you at all in moderation... we're dead without it...it's processed/ hydrogenated that's bad. Alcohol is classed as "empty" calories or something like that..
20-35% of calories should be from fat apparently

Back