It's a beginner thing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Today I bought my first home brew kit and so joined my first ever forum seen as I had problems straight away. I'm not sure if it's a minor or major problem. The thermometer that came with the kit showed no reading. So I do not know what the temperature of the mixture was when I put the yeast in before putting on the lid. From the outside it was warm to touch but if it was a cup'o'tea I wouldn't drink it because it would be slightly too cold. That's the best way I can describe it. So what effect will this have on the finished product? Will it effect the taste? Strength? Nothing at all? Or should I just start again?

Thank you for reading and stay safe

AL

Welcome to the forum!

I would not worry too much, room temperature right now will probably ferment happily. Has it started bubbling?

As long as it ferments, thats all that is important. Do you want to post up the recipe and which yeast it is?

It would probably have been worse if it has been too hot, as it could have killed the yeast and you would not have gotten anywhere.

Maybe obvious, but order yourself a thermometer, a midrange waterproof one is my recommendation, I went through quite a few cheap ones early on.

Last edited:
It was a Bull Dog Brew starter kit, Special Export, so I just used that with the yeast it provided. It had not started to bubble yet. The lady in the shop told me it's ideal to wait three months after bottling to drink it. I don't doubt her but is this to get it to it's optimum taste? Could I try it after say 4-5 weeks?

Thank you for your input Charles, much appreciated

+1 on @Charles Stanley-Grey, keep it at room temp(or are you doing a lager with lager yeast?) Welcome to the hobby and the forumathumb..

Erm........ha ha.........Bulldog Brew Special Export is all I can tell you. I'm a complete beginner so using a starter kit. So it was just the yeast that came with it. I'm appreciating the help here. I've a feeling I'll have a few questions over the coming months

Give it a day or so to start bubbling, but be aware not all Fermenting Vessels seal and you may not get a bubbling, if you don't then look to see(from the outside of the FV) if you have a Krausen, a brown line a couple of CM above the brew, this will tell you that it has started to ferment. Have you got a hydrometer to check the gravity? if not then buy one as they let you know the SG and FG of the brew.

Three months sounds way too much. Two - Three weeks fermenting, a week in the bottle conditioning. There is a special export larger and an ale I can see on the website, if its the ale your fine. If its the larger, no clue have not touched them.

Wow a Krausen. I'm learning already. I do have a Hydrometer yes. I feel I'll have a few questions regarding that when the time comes. What's is the SG and FG? Is that something to do with the percentage I assume?

Yes, the Starting Gravity is what you take before pitching your yeast and will be more if you add a lot of sugar and the FG is the Finishing Gravity so you check between SG and FG to see how it's progressing. You can also use this to calculate the finishing ABV(alcohol content).

Wow a Krausen. I'm learning already. I do have a Hydrometer yes. I feel I'll have a few questions regarding that when the time comes. What's is the SG and FG? Is that something to do with the percentage I assume?
This might help
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
SG is specific gravity. The more unfermented sugar, the higher the reading. OG is Original Gravity which is the start SG of your beer which was probably about 1.040 to 1.045 or so. FG is the Final gravity when all the suagrs have been fermented and will be of the order of 1.010.

Yes, the Starting Gravity is what you take before pitching your yeast and will be more if you add a lot of sugar and the FG is the Finishing Gravity so you check between SG and FG to see how it's progressing. You can also use this to calculate the finishing ABV(alcohol content).

Ah yes. I noticed a "start.......finish" section on the hydrometer. So I assume I place it in and hopefully it floats to between those two points indicating it's all going well? Pitching the yeast? I've not got to that bit yet. I am genuinely finding this all very interesting so thank you for the information.

This might help
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
SG is specific gravity. The more unfermented sugar, the higher the reading. OG is Original Gravity which is the start SG of your beer which was probably about 1.040 to 1.045 or so. FG is the Final gravity when all the suagrs have been fermented and will be of the order of 1.010.
Thank you Terry. I'll use the link provided. I'm sure this is all quite simple after a few batches.

Pitching the yeast? I've not got to that bit yet
You need to pitch the yeast at around 20 -23C and should have done this after mixing the malt and water with sugar/fermentables so if you can find out the temp of the mixture and it falls within these figures then pitch your yeast.......it ain't going to ferment if you don't

You need to pitch the yeast at around 20 -23C and should have done this after mixing the malt and water with sugar/fermentables so if you can find out the temp of the mixture and it falls within these figures then pitch your yeast.......it ain't going to ferment if you don't
This was my original post. The stick on thermometer didn't work so I just had to guess. It was warm but if it was tea it'd be too cold to drink. So I was wondering if it would all still work? Their was a big bag of fine white powder in the starter kit too. But in the instructions I didn't seem to mention the bag. It was a clear bag with no words on it. So I've not put that in either. Any ideas?

Their was a big bag of fine white powder in the starter kit too. But in the instructions I didn't seem to mention the bag. It was a clear bag with no words on it.

You didnt but the kit from your local drug dealer did you? :laugh8:

So, your original post says that you added the yeast before putting the lid on? is that correct? I can only go on the bits that you post, sorry but i'm a bit confused with what you're posting here.

Latest posts

Back