King Keg problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincon

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Having a bit of disaster.

Just tried my first brew in kingkeg with a high tap and I cant get any beer out.

Its holding pressure and ive put extra gas in, I did manage to get the smallest trickle out which just about managed to amount to half a pint but thats it.

Sadly the beer tastes great - I just cant get to it.

Short of opening it and having to down 36 pints in one go has anyone got any ideas?

Also, is this a problem with king kegs barrels with a high tap?

Thanks everyone

Could be that where the float pushes onto the tube going to the tap that it's flush and blocking the flow? Might be worth opening it up and having a look

Hi everyone

Having a bit of disaster.

Just tried my first brew in kingkeg with a high tap and I cant get any beer out.

Its holding pressure and ive put extra gas in, I did manage to get the smallest trickle out which just about managed to amount to half a pint but thats it.

Sadly the beer tastes great - I just cant get to it.

Short of opening it and having to down 36 pints in one go has anyone got any ideas?

Also, is this a problem with king kegs barrels with a high tap?

Thanks everyone
if theres gas coming out the tap when turned on then its obviously carbonated,i have a top tap KK and on occasions when disconnecting the float tube from the tap spigot to clean and sanatise I have not got it back on in the correct position so the actual float is slightly lying on its side in the beer and the outlet in the float not fully submerged in the beer,hence just gas and a trickle if lucky,the keg therefore has to be opened and the tube on the tap spigot adjusted so the float outlet is completely submerged in the beer with the ping-pong ball part of the float at its most uppermost position,recap and if possible inject some CO2 and purge,otherwise a little more sugar for carbing and vent a little thru the cap after a day or so by loosening it slightly for a second or so until you hear gas thru the cap thread

Gas comes out of the tap and the little beer that did dribble out was carbonated.

I think I'm going to have to take the lid off, trouble will be how long will the beer last once air gets to it?

Most people are over boxing day and new years eve - maybe if i do it Christmas day and then hope it lasts a week.

Thanks everyone

The air won't get to it, it's full of co2. Clean your hands well and sanitise them, open it, do what's necessary and close again. You will need to re-gas it obviously.

I've had to do it a couple of times when I've forgotten to to tighten the tap properly

I had to play with / modify the KK float to be able to draw beer. The tube in the float can be pushed too far in, so that when it floats the tube is actually poking out above the beer. Best way to fix this is to pull it out, dunk the tube in some hot water to make it pliable, then re-insert it into the float making sure there's minimum poking through. Be careful it isn't pinched too. I also drilled some additional holes in the float bit that sits below the beer line to aid flow.

Thanks for this. I’ll open it up tomorrow and see what I can do to get the beer out.

Thanks.

Back