Klarstein Füllhorn Mash kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Hi all.

I want to upgrade from my current cooler box mash tun to one where I can control the temperature accurately. Do some step mashing etc.

Looking at this, and think it's a pretty good deal: https://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/index....listtype=list&&sid=7m832b3e8qn7j2cr5h8cceg8u7

I'd just use it for mashing and sparge into and boil in my current stove top kettle.

Anyone got one of these, are they any good? How accurate/stable is the temperature control?

It looks identical to the Ace boiler that I've got which was cheaper but no longer on sale..... I biab and I'm very pleased with it; first few times I used it I checked the temperature against the display and it was pretty accurate. Once it's at mash temp the 900w element keeps it there - it bobs around a degree or two but nothing major. I use it to boil as well, the 1600w element can maintain a rolling boil.

hi jafski,
i got one of these from ACE.paid £140,then they went bust.
it,s got good insulation but you could add more.i use both
elements to heat to 29l to 72" i have the nylon bag,steep grains
@ 68" in 14l water using small element for one hour.i drain this.BUT
REMEBER TO SWITCH THE ELEMENT OFF. repeat.-with 14l of
water
p.i.d will stay at 68" just switch element back on. sparge
with 4l.remember to switch element off when draining.
remove grain bag.pour wort back in the ace.set p.i.d. to 110"
use both elements.when bringing to the boil, a rolling boil will be maintaind
by the large element alone..temps are accurate.always clean burnt
crust off element after use [lemon juice/vinigar].i end up with 22l.of
wort,that,s a corny and 4 bottles.recirculat with a 2l jug to clear wort
fantastic bit of kit for small brewer.can not ever seeing me buy a
grainfarther.when you can buy 5 of these for the same price [that,s upset someone].
con.

Yep I have the Ace one too, I'm pretty happy with it as well. As mentioned previously, although it is insulated I also wrap mine up with a few bath towels during the mash, the temp remains very stable.

I HAD an ACE too, and whilst it worked it was rather good.

However, now I've had a go myself, I'd say consider building your own. It's incredibly easy to do, and if anything goes wrong you can easily replace just part of your boiler. Also, you can get a bit more volume with a 33 litre SS stockpot (better yet, get a 40 litre, and be happy at having plenty of space for a full 23 litre BIAB...), the ACE and I should think the Klarstein the full mark is roughly 27 litres. Besides, DIY is more fun. ;)

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I don't BIAB, the grain would be in there loose. So would I have any issues with sticking on the element/bottom if I'm purely mashing in it (and boiling in another kettle) in your experience?

Presumably not at mash temperatures and with the false bottom too.

Last edited:
I HAD an ACE too, and whilst it worked it was rather good.

However, now I've had a go myself, I'd say consider building your own. It's incredibly easy to do, and if anything goes wrong you can easily replace just part of your boiler. Also, you can get a bit more volume with a 33 litre SS stockpot (better yet, get a 40 litre, and be happy at having plenty of space for a full 23 litre BIAB...), the ACE and I should think the Klarstein the full mark is roughly 27 litres. Besides, DIY is more fun. ;)

Me + DIY = NOT FUN !:laugh8:

I thought the same thing to be honest, usually to me DIY stand for destroy it yourself.... lol

Gave it a go though, and even with my tremor I managed to cut the holes and build a boiler that's WAY better than my ACE was (well, it will be once I have some temperature control). The tools do the work for you. https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/building-a-new-boiler.77175/

Has anyone else noticed there almost never seems to be anyone making plastic boilers on here any more despite them being the cheapest and easy to make.

Latest posts

Back