Letting beer settle before pitching yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Do you have a transparent conical? I have a stainless steel one so am tempted to try it on a brew. But with a stainless one, I have no idea how much to dump from the bottom valve without wasting wort

Yup. That's my issue with them (well to be fair one of my issues)

I use 5g Irish moss 15 minutes before the end of the (45m) boil, remove the hops. Then overnight chill. All the **** drops to the bottom, I open the lower tap and drop the wort to buckets. Not 100% clear wort necessarily at this stage,a very small ammout of trub gets through.
I rinse out the BM20 return the buckets. Lid on, inkbird on, puffa jacket on.
6 days later.... This is ready for bottling. Note plastic glass.

20230516_085228.jpg

Last edited:
Might be a daft question but every days a school day, skimming the hot break off rather than Stirling in , Is this common practice ? I thought the hot break was like a protein the wort needed to be healthy.
I couldn’t say what the ratio is between those that skim and those that don’t but people certainly do both.

I’m not aware of anything definitive that evidences any advantage to skimming or stirring in the hot-break. I suspect most of it just ends up as cold break in the bottom of your kettle. You then have the decision to put this into your fermenter or leave it behind and again, there’s not clear benefit to either (some say it helps produce more clear beer).

I think in the end this is a matter of preference. If you think it’s necessary or beneficial to stir in the hot break then no one is going to tell you that’s wrong.

Might be a daft question but every days a school day, skimming the hot break off rather than Stirling in , Is this common practice ? I thought the hot break was like a protein the wort needed to be healthy.
Some skim it of, some stir it in. It is coagulated proteins and is generally left behind in the kettle.

I do have some NBS clarity that I used to use, but it says it makes it gluten free, and I have a silly thought in my head that it might take some flavour away. Clearly not true, but I'm daft 😅

No. Any filtering or fining by definition has to take away flavour. Else what you removed would be completely flavourless

I don't skim anything. It will drop.

Tbh, I don't even see it (hot) any more. By the time I add hops, it's been and gone.

I do get bug lumps (finger nail size) lumps of jelly in the trub through? Thoughts anyone?

I don't skim anything. It will drop.

Tbh, I don't even see it (hot) any more. By the time I add hops, it's been and gone.

I do get bug lumps (finger nail size) lumps of jelly in the trub through? Thoughts anyone?
It could be undissolved protofloc/ whirlfloc if it’s just the one lump of jelly each brew.

Looks like Whale Ambergris to me could be worth a fortune:laugh8:
Ps I always skim as my thoughts are it may not all drop to the bottom so get rid as soon as possible IMO

I've seen jelly like substance on a couple of brews when I was getting a bit fast and loose with the protofloc. Basically being lazy and chucking in a whole tablet when I only needed half a tablet. Was only a tiny amount and was mixed in with some grain particles and 'gunk' so clearly doing its job. Not had it since I started dosing protofloc correctly.

As far as cold break is concerned there is no need to take action against it. It precipitates out of the wort and dissolves back into it. I've always noticed it and not paid any attention to it, but recently on my larger 3 vessel system due to having an oversized plate chiller I usually over chill the wort and have to wait an hour or so before pitching yeast while it's brought upto pitching temp. I have a sight class right at the bottom the fermermenter and see the coagulation of the cold break, but when I return an hour or so later to pitch yeast it's completely gone leaving crystal clear wort. The sight glass is right at the bottom of the fermenter so it's not settling to the bottom...it has to be dissolving back into the wort from whence it came. So seems an attempt to avoid it or filter it out is a pointless endeavour.

I think we have a winner.

That's me bang to rights.. "getting a bit fast and loose with the protofloc"

Better pay attention next time, as it is a minor PITA as they bung up the BM pump. Never make it into the fermentation as the BM had a wash out.

Smashing Thanks

Ps. Does this lead us to assume protofloc and irsh moss are not the same then? Never had this with IM only recently been using protofloc? 🤔

As far as cold break is concerned there is no need to take action against it. It precipitates out of the wort and dissolves back into it. I've always noticed it and not paid any attention to it, but recently on my larger 3 vessel system due to having an oversized plate chiller I usually over chill the wort and have to wait an hour or so before pitching yeast while it's brought upto pitching temp. I have a sight class right at the bottom the fermermenter and see the coagulation of the cold break, but when I return an hour or so later to pitch yeast it's completely gone leaving crystal clear wort. The sight glass is right at the bottom of the fermenter so it's not settling to the bottom...it has to be dissolving back into the wort from whence it came. So seems an attempt to avoid it or filter it out is a pointless endeavour.
Well that's very interesting. Everything I've read or heard says that you want a rapid chill to precipitate out the cold break to prevent it staying in your beer, and that once it's precipitated out it doesn't redissolve.

Ps. Does this lead us to assume protofloc and irsh moss are not the same then? Never had this with IM only recently been using protofloc?
The active ingredient in both of them is carrageenan. Maybe it's just the quantity that you used?

Back