LHBS - how far do you go?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichK

Regular.
Reaction score
How far do people travel to get to their "L"HBS. At the moment, I have one ten minutes drive away. Super shop, great range of stock. Very good with advice, ideas & suggestions etc.

Unfortunately, their business is up for sale (time to retire). Next nearest is a two hour round trip which is OK with planning but I'm not great for planning. I did a trial run this afternoon which was OK but it was a big chunk out of the day (which isn't always available). If it was nearer I'd have no problem using them.

So, how far do others travel (or does everybody just buy online now?)

I just buy online.

My nearest shop in Edinburgh, >60 miles each way - when I’ve been planning a trip to Edinburgh and looked into ordering online to pick up from the shop, I’ve found that I’m significantly cheaper to order from GEB or HBC and pay their postage costs.

30 minutes but it’s just about empty now with a random selection of old hops and a few kits. I was in yesterday, it’s a little sad but a sign of the times.

Im 95 percent maltmiller and brewuk now. It arrives to my door step the next day.

Leyland Homebrew is 7 miles. Unfortunately Joe is retiring and wants to sell the building. It would be better to sell it as another kebab shop and move the business to a cheap unit. You don't need to be on a shopping street. I believe there's also a shop on the Fylde up for sale for around £200,000. I like being able to call in and browse but will just have to go online and buy in bulk if the shops close.

I have three LHBS's within about 15 miles, 30 mins drive and use all in rotation. There are a few things I know I can't get in any of them, so have to rely on online suppliers, but end up adding loads of useless **** to justify the delivery charges.

Wilko in the next town (8 miles away) and a few bits and pieces in a health food shop in town which is a few minutes walk away. (yeast, nutrient, stabilizer etc)

Went to wilko today and they have run out of everything except a few kits, there was no yeast for sale at all of any type so no cider making as planned.

I shop online. The only LHBS near here is Bilston Homebrew, and as far as I am aware they just sell kit stuff (which I have no interest in), plus I don't really fancy going to Bilston... lol

Other than that, Wilkos range sucks in our local one, and again it's kit stuff anyway. Then all they usually have in stock is wine making stuff and a few beer, cider and wine kits. You'd be in trouble trying to dive in there quick for some Gervin yeast for example, they rarely have any in stock.

There's no local home brew club that I can find either, although there must be local home brewers as micro pubs that do their own brewing keep opening around here...

Didn't really have a local one for ages then one opened in town. I've been once for a Hambleton Bard S30 CO2 cyclinder exchange as you can't really get these online. Do online shopping for everything else.

Seems a bit daft but this shop is the other side of the city from me which is a PITA for traffic at the best of times, there's no parking, and most of what they sell is dearer than I can get from the 'net. I want to change to cornys and a pub gas cylinder at some point, that would end my only reason to visit them. Not sure how long the business will last?

The Home Brew Shop is about 30 mins away from me. I try to support them as much as I can, either in the shop or online - I might save a pound or two over an order by going elsewhere but I'd rather spend the extra and keep my local shop in business. Price isn't the most important thing but that said, given they do have such an online presence, their prices are pretty reasonable so I might think differently if everything cost a lot more!

It’s a few mins detour on my cycle to and from work. Fine if it’s a pannier load otherwise I’ll take the bus.
We’ve a Wilkos too now but they don’t have much to tempt me.

For me it's 'The Wine Loft' in St. Helens. The owners are lovely and a mine of information, but prices are more than on the net. Still worth popping along for a new FV and other hardware. About 30 mins drive.

I shop online. The only LHBS near here is Bilston Homebrew, and as far as I am aware they just sell kit stuff (which I have no interest in), plus I don't really fancy going to Bilston... lol

Other than that, Wilkos range sucks in our local one, and again it's kit stuff anyway. Then all they usually have in stock is wine making stuff and a few beer, cider and wine kits. You'd be in trouble trying to dive in there quick for some Gervin yeast for example, they rarely have any in stock.

There's no local home brew club that I can find either, although there must be local home brewers as micro pubs that do their own brewing keep opening around here...

Don't forget Harris4Homebrew in Gornal, he has a decent selection of ingredients. The Bilston homebrew shop does sell some AG ingredients but mostly those supplied by Youngs and its fairly expensive.

The nearest you'll find to a homebrew club round here is http://www.midlandscraftbrewers.org.uk/

Latest posts

Back