PET Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieBeer

Reaction score
This is the first time I've used the Coopers PET bottles. The caps are the type that have a seal when you break when you open them (they leave the bottom bit behind round the neck of the bottle).

When you come to reuse the bottles, do you re-use the caps too? Or get new ones?

This is the first time I've used the Coopers PET bottles. The caps are the type that have a seal when you break when you open them (they leave the bottom bit behind round the neck of the bottle).

When you come to reuse the bottles, do you re-use the caps too? Or get new ones?
Just re use them:thumb:

I've been reusing the caps. Lost a few and bought a bag of replacements, the "collar" comes off easily enough with a pair of strong scissors. Think a few have been through 2 or 3 brews now.

As above, reuse them.

That said it may just be me but the few times I've used Coopers PET bottles so far I just don't seem to get the carbonation that I get with glass bottles / crown caps. Might just be circumstance though as it's been a different kits going into the PET bottles and glass bottles. :whistle:

As others have said, reuse them, but make sure the tops are screwed tight. I bottled last weekend and 40 bottles is quite a lot of work, so I put the tops on in batches of 10 and then once they're all done, go back to each bottle and screw each one as tight as I can get it to ensure there's no leak.

And I've still got the blister to prove it!

As others have said, reuse them, but make sure the tops are screwed tight. I bottled last weekend and 40 bottles is quite a lot of work, so I put the tops on in batches of 10 and then once they're all done, go back to each bottle and screw each one as tight as I can get it to ensure there's no leak.

Funny that, I also suffered a wound from the last brew I did into PET bottles. Makes me think that they're really not worth the hassle as crown capping is so easy when you've got a bench top capper.

Mostly use glass now when bottling but always use at least one pet bottle per batch to get an idea of how carbonation is going.

Yep, I now use a weight lifting glove on one hand (only a cheap pair from Amazon). This stops the soreness from screwing on 40 bottle tops.:thumb:

How much are PET bottles?

Around £10 for 24.

I've used them a few times but I have started throwing away one or two which are showing signs of being a bit weakened, you know the way plastic changes colour if it gets a kink in it? I suspect that's mishandling on my part to be honest. They are pretty decent and even if I do a batch predominantly into glass bottles I do one or two PET for carbonation testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why bother taking the collars off?

I know that's not aimed at me, but in my case I take them off because if I don't my wife has a habit of putting a brand new cap (with collar) on over the top of it, then I have to fix that mess.... lol

Around ��£10 for 24.

I've used them a few times but I have started throwing away one or two which are showing signs of being a bit weakened, you know the way plastic changes colour if it gets a kink in it? I suspect that's mishandling on my part to be honest. They are pretty decent and even if I do a batch predominantly into glass bottles I do one or two PET for carbonation testing.

Though that's for the Coopers oxygen barrier bottles. If you make stuff that gets drunk quickly you can buy much cheaper PET bottles. Most of my batches I do the first 10L or so in recycled fizzy water bottles because I know that will be gone quickly, I defy anyone to tell the difference even after a few weeks. If you don't want to recycle you can buy new bottles much cheaper than the Coopers ones.

Though that's for the Coopers oxygen barrier bottles. If you make stuff that gets drunk quickly you can buy much cheaper PET bottles. Most of my batches I do the first 10L or so in recycled fizzy water bottles because I know that will be gone quickly, I defy anyone to tell the difference even after a few weeks. If you don't want to recycle you can buy new bottles much cheaper than the Coopers ones.

That's true. I don't use pop bottles any more, after I had a batch oxidise really quickly. I think the 1.75L coke bottles would work as they are thicker but they are clear which is a no no for me too.

Back