Sorachi ace pale is on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this done today FINALLY.

Recipe, 15L

Grain
2750 Maris otter
200g Munich light
200g torrefied wheat
200g light crystal

Hops
Sorachi ace 11aa 15g @60m
Sorachi ace 15g @10m
Sorachi ace 40g @ FO

No dry hop this time.
Yeast us-05 (it's getting warm!)

Expected stats
OG 1050, fg 1012
38 Ibu
5.5% abv

Some delays while I waited for a missing gf part to turn up, but got onto it after the rugger.

A bit of faffing as if forgotten the finer details of how to use it, but no real cock ups other than not recirculating the wort though the chiller before going into fv, so it hadn't cooled to pitching temp.

Rather than tip it back in the gf I just put the fv in the bath in cold water. It's been there an hour and is down to 25c so won't be long.

Got more wort at a higher OG (1052/4) than planned, because the gf is so efficient. Only using a 15L fv so had to ditch the extra two, oh well.

Will pitch yeast before footy then settle in for Wales and England games with a few cold ones.

Cheers me dears
G

image.jpg

Did you need the smaller pipe work for the smaller brew length?

No, used the standard top pipe. The instructions are a bit vague for small grain bills. It says push the top plate down as far as it will go theN top up the mash water to cover it. But it went all the down to the grain, so I just guessed at an extra 2.5L and it worked ok, though that affected how much sparge to use which explains why I got too much wort.

Though given the efficiency I'm glad I did or this would have been a 6.5% brew!

No, used the standard top pipe. The instructions are a bit vague for small grain bills. It says push the top plate down as far as it will go theN top up the mash water to cover it. But it went all the down to the grain, so I just guessed at an extra 2.5L and it worked ok, though that affected how much sparge to use which explains why I got too much wort.

Though given the efficiency I'm glad I did or this would have been a 6.5% brew!
If you brew shorter lengths quite often it might be worth looking st the shorter pipework, means you can just use the standard calcs without messing around. I've been tempted but can't bring myself to spend the same amount of time making less beer just yet. :lol:

If you brew shorter lengths quite often it might be worth looking st the shorter pipework, means you can just use the standard calcs without messing around. I've been tempted but can't bring myself to spend the same amount of time making less beer just yet. :lol:

Didn't know there was short pipework tbh. Will check it out.

I have been doing lots of 12L biab til now but increasingly thinking I should do 15L minimum with the gf.

It costs negligibly more and I can give more away without worrying about my own stash.

Also I'm fed up of loving a beer only to have 20 or so bottles of it.

Had a look at it, says it turns the gf into a 10L brewer. Don't think I'll need it, the min I would do is 12L , more likely 15L now as per above.

How did this turn out? Go some Sorachi Ace in the freezer which I'm planning to use in a couple of weeks.

That's spookily similar to my next planned brew only I have carabelge instead of light crystal.

was planning on citra/Chinook/sorachi for my hops but I might keep it a single hop not sure yet

Back