Tesco kettle elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned before!
When I constructed my boiler using Tesco kettle elements I found that computer power leads plugged directly on to them.
The elements are 2.2Kw (9 amps) which the cable will easily handle, you just have to up grade the power lead fuse to 13A.
My apologies if this is old hat.

They may well fit EV, but they're not rated for the temperatures they will get hot at the junction.
You're better off paying for the "hot" leads, with a little notch in them.

I know people use the computer ones, but I thought I'd have my 2p.

I used 2 computer leads on the test run of my boiler, that were salvaged from work. One handled it fine, the other didn't and blew/burnt out. I must admit though that the leads were extremely old (prob over 15yr i would guess).

This being said though i would advise anyone from using computer leads. You probably will get away with it a few times but i would think it would only be a matter of time before something went wrong. And i would hate that to happen to anyone during a brew day and be left without a boiler

evanvine said:
Thanks for that info Jambanks, I'm hoping that JB will come up with a source of heavier duty leads.
Still have my 8 gal Burco as a stand-by even though it's about 40 years old!

IIRC, Homebase, Maplin, etc do them. Simply called "Kettle Leads" ;)

The Burco has its elements (1 kw and 2 kw) underneath so are not in direct contact with the wort. This make it slow to boil and does not give a good "roll".
It was designed for boiling washing.

Thanks JB I'll get on to that.

I too am of the melted computer leads club having thought they were OK to use.

The moulded plug at the element end had a rating of 10 Amps set into the moulding and the plug itself had a rating of 13 Amps. This did not stop the wire melting and sticking to the work surface in the kitchen - also exposing bare wires. The missus was not happy, but it did come off luckily.

evanvine said:
The Burco has its elements (1 kw and 2 kw) underneath so are not in direct contact with the wort. This make it slow to boil and does not give a good "roll".
It was designed for boiling washing.
There are two sorts of Burco boiler the old Wash boiler type . . . which may very well have its elements hidden away . .. but then you have the Burco Catering Urn type which has a 3KW Element . . . which may or may not be hidden . . . more often not it looks a bit like these
.%5Ccatalogue%5Cimages%5C10523B.gif
.%5Ccatalogue%5Cimages%5C10963B.gif

Must admit my original Wash boiler did a very good job of getting my wort to the boil and maintaining a good rolling boil

homers brew said:
I too am of the melted computer leads club having thought they were OK to use.

The moulded plug at the element end had a rating of 10 Amps set into the moulding and the plug itself had a rating of 13 Amps. This did not stop the wire melting and sticking to the work surface in the kitchen - also exposing bare wires. The missus was not happy, but it did come off luckily.

ironically although the 'plug' (even though you cant realistically separate it from the cable) has a 10a rating the wiring is probably 5-7A on some of these leads - i have bucket fulls of 'iec' type connector leads at home from previous jobs and they can all vary - as has been said the best bet is to purchase a 'hot' one ie - it has the notch in the plug - failing that make yourself one up from parts rated for the job - you can get the bits from diy stores etc - silicone insulated cable is a good choice too as it has good heat resistant properties.

atb

chris

The cable on the leads I have is more than twice as thick as the leads the kettles came with.
On the test run nothing got even remotely warm apart from heat transferred to the IEC connectors from the boiling water and these could be held in your hand.

Edit
I'm telling porkies, they are the same diameter as my kettle leads :oops:

Sorry Jim . . . I should edit my post to say that there are three types of burco boiler . . . the wash boiler, the Catering Tea Urn . . .. . . . . and the truly and completely, ancient out, of the ark, as used by Benjamin Franklin, Evanvine Burco Wash boiler!

:lol:

Lovely old boiler I bet,............must go, Mrs.S has just called me for my tea......... very reliable an old boiler............. :lol:
Bet those elements don't burn out. ;)

I picked up exactly the same burco boiler a couple of weeks ago from freecycle along with a nice shiney Cygnet boiler. After reading this topic I think all my future questions have been answered.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

Aleman said:
Sorry Jim . . . I should edit my post to say that there are three types of burco boiler . . . the wash boiler, the Catering Tea Urn . . .. . . . . and the truly and completely, ancient out, of the ark, as used by Benjamin Franklin, Evanvine Burco Wash boiler!

:lol:

Also used by the Jolly Brewer

Back