The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This new rule about meeting 1 other person outdoors, hasnt that always been the case..Im sure I read in the original guidelines that gatherings of more than 2 people from different households are not allowed..so upto 2 people from different households were ok...same as now.Except now we can meet them anywhere in England:?:😷

One you have worn a face mask for a few minutes, they become moist from respiration. This causes a "bridge", and renders most of them absolutely useless...
... I might go out with the wife's panties on my head (not that I don't usually), they'd be just as good!

That is one way to make sure people avoid you. :laugh8:

This new rule about meeting 1 other person outdoors, hasnt that always been the case..Im sure I read in the original guidelines that gatherings of more than 2 people from different households are not allowed..so upto 2 people from different households were ok...same as now.Except now we can meet them anywhere in England:?:😷

BJ is currenty answering questions on his yesterday announcement:

When can I see my family again?
Natasha from Richmond asks when she can see her family again and questions if it is logical that, as a teacher, she can mix with children returning to schools but still cannot see her relatives.
The prime minister replies that she can see one other member of her family somewhere outdoors.
"It may not sound like much but I hope you understand the constraints we are under," he says.
Chris Whitty adds that the risk of infection from children is "very very low" and reopening schools, done carefully, is unlikely to lead to a rise in virus infections.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52612438

This new rule about meeting 1 other person outdoors, hasnt that always been the case..Im sure I read in the original guidelines

The original rule was not to go out unless it was for exercise or shopping for essentials i don't think meeting people was mentioned.

How can I go to work if schools are shut?

This is what I was wondering. How do people go to work if they've got kids. Here's BJ's answer

"Boris Johnson is now asked how people can go back to work if schools are shut and there is no childcare available.

"We're hoping to begin to open primary schools at the earliest by 1 June," the prime minister says.

"If people don't have access to childcare, then I think it's only fair to regard that as an obvious barrier to their ability to go back to work.

"I'm sure employers will agree with that." "

My interpretation is to stay at home if you cant go to work because of the kids?

"PM: Stay home as much as possible
The PM explains that the new measures announced today mean that "those who can't work from home should now speak to their employer about going back to work"

The problem is if your employer says no. Im guessing that was part of the reason for the crowded scenes at canning town tube that I posted.
Im also wondering what will happen at the end of furlough come June. I've a feeling it wont be extended because of the sheer expense. But what if there's a second wave by june?

The problem is if your employer says no. Im guessing that was part of the reason for the crowded scenes at canning town tube that I posted.
Im also wondering what will happen at the end of furlough come June. I've a feeling it wont be extended because of the sheer expense. But what if there's a second wave by june?

They discussed this at length today on 5 live, if the employer cannot make your workplace safe (distancing etc) you stay on furlough i think many employers will do this rather than face being sued for not making employees workplaces safe, i cannot see the government pulling furlough as it would leave people in no mans land, i guess they are hoping many go back to work meaning paying the rest to stay at home is less of a financial burden.

Edited version

They discussed this at length today on 5 live, if the employer cannot make your workplace safe (distancing etc) you stay on furlough i think many employers will do this rather than face being sued for not making employees workplaces safe, i cannot see the government pulling furlough as it would leave people in no mans land, i guess they are hoping many go back to work meaning paying the rest to stay at home is less of a financial burden.

Interesting. Makes sense about employers having to make your workplace safe or risk getting sued. Hopefully they'll extend furlough but I havent heard anything about any extension yet and it must be costing billions (10's 100s?) so I'm guessing the Government would be reluctant to continue to spent that kind of dosh. Having as many people back at work as possible so they can pay the rest on furlough also makes sense athumb..

How can I go to work if schools are shut?

This is what I was wondering. How do people go to work if they've got kids. Here's BJ's answer

"Boris Johnson is now asked how people can go back to work if schools are shut and there is no childcare available.

"We're hoping to begin to open primary schools at the earliest by 1 June," the prime minister says.

"If people don't have access to childcare, then I think it's only fair to regard that as an obvious barrier to their ability to go back to work.

"I'm sure employers will agree with that." "

My interpretation is to stay at home if you cant go to work because of the kids?

It is only for certain age groups with what is being proposed.

As it stands my eldest will go to school the 8 year old will stay at home with me

Looks like we'll be getting an announcement about the furlough scheme later

"Chancellor Rishi Sunak is to reveal the future of the government's job retention scheme later, amid growing calls to extend it.

Currently more than six million people are having up to 80% of their wages paid by the government while they are temporarily on leave from their jobs.

Mr Sunak previously warned the furlough scheme, due to end in June, was not "sustainable" at its current rate."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52627655

Looks like we'll be getting an announcement about the furlough scheme later

"Chancellor Rishi Sunak is to reveal the future of the government's job retention scheme later, amid growing calls to extend it.

Currently more than six million people are having up to 80% of their wages paid by the government while they are temporarily on leave from their jobs.

Mr Sunak previously warned the furlough scheme, due to end in June, was not "sustainable" at its current rate."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52627655
That's one thing I found unclear was the amount
80% up to £2500 was that a max cap
Or
80% of the wage with max payout being £2500 as the above would be £2500.
Even at that times £6m a month is
£15, 000, 000, 000
Or £15bn.
Yikes

That's one thing I found unclear was the amount
80% up to £2500 was that a max cap
Or
80% of the wage with max payout being £2500 as the above would be £2500.
Even at that times £6m a month is
£15, 000, 000, 000
Or £15bn.
Yikes

Lots of spondoolies eh. Thanks for doing the maths, I'd never have been able to do it. 15bn is why Sunak is saying it's "unsustainable"

Now get back to work peasants. Those share dividends wont create themselves! :laugh8:

So the furlough is to october - Stay at home peasants. We've realised we need you to make us profits! :laugh8:

Sunak extends furlough job retention scheme until end of October

Sunak says the government believes in the dignity of work.

It is doing all it can to protect people who cannot work.

He says he can announce the next stage of the job retention scheme, the furlough scheme. He says 7.5m jobs have been supported, and almost 1m businesses helped.

He says the scheme will be extended for four months, until the end of October. (It has been due to end at the end of June.)

There will be no changes until the end of July.

And in August, September and October will will continue with more flexibility.

He says employers will be able to bring workers back part-time. (At the moment the scheme only subsidises workers who are not working at all.)

He says the government will require employers to make a contribution.

But he says employees will continue to get the same support they do now - 80% of wages.

Last edited by a moderator:
One change that is interesting to the furloughs scheme is, allowing people to go back to work part time. My employer is a German company and has had most employees (in Germany) Switch to part time work (still receiving full pay 50% from the company 50% from the German state) which amongst other things allowed them to maintain appropriate social distancing in the warehouses. Hopefully it will be something similar when they say bring back employees part time.

One change that is interesting to the furloughs scheme is, allowing people to go back to work part time. My employer is a German company and has had most employees (in Germany) Switch to part time work (still receiving full pay 50% from the company 50% from the German state) which amongst other things allowed them to maintain appropriate social distancing in the warehouses. Hopefully it will be something similar when they say bring back employees part time.

Allowing people to go back part time will also bring the costs down. October is a long way away

Hancock kicks the aviation industry in the goolies

If they were to say you can fly next week at your own risk as its not possible to distance i don't think the majority of us would be rushing for a ticket, its going to be months before a vaccine is available so Airports & planes, sports events, cinema, pubs and the many different eateries are going to have a rough time until the vaccine is ready and many will go under.

Last edited:
Back