The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did our 2 weekly shop today. It was busy, but no panic buying that I could see. Managed to get everything we would usually buy, perhaps with a couple of substitutions. I guess I'll just top up shop now. I still can't believe these Muppets panic buying stuff. What a bunch of arseholes.

Same only thing I couldn't get was Basmati rice

This is the loo roll use at Tesco in Oban
20200314_110318.jpg

Good job I didn't need any.

Did our 2 weekly shop today. It was busy, but no panic buying that I could see. Managed to get everything we would usually buy, perhaps with a couple of substitutions. I guess I'll just top up shop now. I still can't believe these Muppets panic buying stuff. What a bunch of arseholes.
What is "panic buying" exactly. We normally shop weekly, but this time, we've shopped for two weeks (the same as you) so that if one of us falls ill, we'll be able to quarantine ourselves and the dog for that period without the need to go out and infect everyone else. We'll top up, too, although I can't see us having much appetite for solid food if we do go down. Vitamin supplements come in packs of 365 tablets- a year's supply and I've got half a kilo of food grade ascorbic acid (500 doses of 1 gram) just in case I need an antioxident for my beer.
Is that panic buying? (Oh and 10,000 bogrolls.- only joking).
Haven't seen any shortages or gaps in the supermarket shelves except that hand cleaner gel is usually gone- not surprising with the amount of hand shaking that goes on. Dutto pointed out that bottles of cologne with 70% alcohol, do just as good a job and there's plenty of that.

To be honest, I am hoping I get it early. If they are correct that 80% of the population might get it at some point, my rationale is if I come down with it now - before the NHS is overflowing - I might stand a chance of surviving it if there are any complications and I need hospital treatment.
It also means I can just get on with my life knowing it's out of the way.

Edited to add, my Easter holiday to Disney world is down the pan. Thanks trump, you damn great big orange nimrod

Mrs C popped to the shops on Friday on her way home. "Just got a few basics", she said. We have cereal, pasta, halloumi (long shelf life), and enough tinned tomatoes to see out a nuclear war (oddly no loo roll?). Good job she didn't buy too much fresh stuff or my brew fridge would have been called up for exceptional refrigeration duties.

Went to Tescos today for our usual weekly shop. Didn't need bog rolls which was just as well, but hardly any tinned veg left and gaps all over the place. Apparently someone had spat at the till girl because she wouldn't let them buy the quantity of bog rolls they wanted this morning!
She eyed up my pile of bottled water but let it go through though apparently that's rationed now too. Still, I'm alright for putting on a stout tomorrow.

We went shopping to our local asda today and it was a different story... No obvious panic, but the fruit and veg, fresh meat, pasta, cleaning, soap, pain killer and toilet/kitchen roll were all decimated - a bit scary really... Apparently the toilet roll delivery sold out in a couple of hours!

Wife went out earlier today to pick up some food for the chickens. The owner of the shop said that they were having trouble sourcing chicken feed, as most of it comes from Europe.
She then rang me at work to ask if I had any spare grain in the shop as a "top up"...

..."Bugger off!" was my reply.
I can live without eggs, but beer is a whole different bucket of worms!!!

Can anyone shed light on why toilet roll is being panic bought? I can understand most of the items - but toilet roll is a mystery to me.
I can live off grid out in the wilds for as long as needed - but toilet roll isn't even on my must-have list.
At least we know that most people will die with a clean bum.

Perhaps dying with a clean bum is aspirational in some circles?
My understanding of animal physiology has the release of all matter in the gut as an inevitable, if gradual, consequence of the lack of nerve based instructions following brain dysfunction.

So, here is a potential headstone " He may have been a PITA, but at least he died with a wiped one".

Can anyone shed light on why toilet roll is being panic bought?

I assume its because you wouldn't be able to leave the house for 7 - 14 days and your normal stash of toilet roll wouldn't last even if the virus doesn't give you the squits.

If all else fails I've got one of these.

Attachments

• shower-sponge-stick-IMG_3587-600x600-1.jpg
    shower-sponge-stick-IMG_3587-600x600-1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 53
All of these have been over 60's with existing health problems so is this virus any more dangerous than seasonal flu?

They have seasonal flu in Italy too, and it has never caused this sort of pressure on their health system.

I wonder what the number would be if we didn't have the flu vaccine.

Latest posts

Back