The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember if I already said all this a few pages ago but the government have been a week behind to react another week to make it clear (ie advise people not to go to pubs and 5 days later tell them to close) and many of the public are a week behind them. Part of this was because of things like "most people will only have mild cases", "winter flu will kill more people" and "only the elderly with pre existing conditions are dieing" went round so much early on. Also whats going to make it hard to recover long term and make it worse in the short term is both the government (since at least the end of ww2 likely much longer but mainly since the 80s) and the public (most of them since the end of there education) have borrowed to buy in hard times and in good times borrowed and spent even more.

There have been teenagers dying but we don't hear much about them. I was sent a good video last night on YouTube. Some Dr/Government advisor. He said he informed the government early on that the people dying wasn't the elderly. It was those that are unhealthy and had a respiratory problem. The government said he was right and still continue to warn the elderly. He thinks the elderly don't need to stay at home, it's the unhealthy and those with respiratory illnesses. He also pointed out that some patients are still contagious up to 28 days but the government insist with 7/14 days isolation.

Interesting viewing.

Not sure of this is any use to anyone, however I have built a calculation file to allow someone to make some hand sanitiser if they have the ingredients.
Obviously use this at your own risk.

Attachments

• Hand Sanitiser Formula and Calcs.xlsx
    261.7 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Oooh! Do I hear notes of concern that the Government could be doing something "quicker or better"?

I've been trying to point out for a long time that the Government have been "behind the curve" and slow to react to the reality of the situation; and every time somebody tells me that I am wrong!

Now, some of the same people are complaining that the Government is acting too slowly! The mind boggles but all I can say is "I wish I had been wrong, but I fear that I wasn't."

It must be very hard for any government to balance the short term risk from Covid-19 with the long-term economic damage that will also cause people to die. But trying to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed seems to be accepted as the right action. Whatever UK government does, there will be a big economic downturn worldwide.

Just been shopping, all dongered up in masks, gloves and specs as I said I would and all clothes are now in the wash. No shortages of anything. Boggy aisle fully stocked, some brands of pasta cleared out and more of rice, but other, more expensive ones available. Fresh butchery closed, but cold shelves filled to capacity. Some frozen burgers emptied out. No sanitizer and some cheaper cleaning products and bleach in very short supply. Everything else, produce, meat, fish sections full to capacity. All staff wearing masks. 50% of customers wearing masks. Everyone respecting distance. Oh. Beer and wine sections full as normal, but no blocks of fresh yeast and some flour's running a bit low.

Just heard this from the wife's sister!

Her son, our nephew, was on a London to Edinburgh train last week when he heard the man sat next to him say into his phone "Really? She's tested positive? Bugger! I've been working with her all week."

At this point Michael thought "And I've been sat next to you for the last four hours!" and put himself in "isolation mode" when he got back home.

Last Saturday, he drove over to his Mum's and left her Mother's Day present (contained in a plastic box sprayed with hand sanitiser) on the front doorstep to be opened the next day.

It's nice to see some people taking this situation seriously and we're proud to be related to the lad! :hat::hat:

I know it's sexist and I know that it isn't PC but there's an old joke about women being terrible drivers because they can't judge distances! (Men have convinced them that "Six inches long!" is a lot less than it is!)

I now have another version!

If the women on the panel of ITV's "Loose Women" think they are two metres apart and the people in the audience think that they are two metres apart then "God help us - please!" and my advice is:
  • The Government should go and shut the bloody show down right now! (Permanently would be preferred!)
  • Women should stop criticising men for making sexist and non-PC remarks about their driving!
PS
I have to watch the damned programme because SWMBO has the flipper! I know that it's a form of domestic abuse condoned by ITV but please someone shut it down - now! aheadbutt

PPS
I had a fence post tucked under my arm, another fence post braced with my foot, wire netting in one hand pulled tight and a hammer in my hand ready to nail the two posts together. "Pass me that six-inch nail and brace this fence post for me." I said to SWMBO. After about five minutes of "THAT's six inches long? I never knew that was a SIX-inch nail." etc my arms went numb and I dropped the fence post and the netting.

The fact that I was using seven-inch nails cut no ice whatsoever later in the day after I'd measured them! :laugh8:

Never mind Dutto
1. Never mind the Quality feel the width ( a old ITV comedy show)
2. A bad tradesman always blames his tools
3. A good big un will always beat a good little un
4 I think we have all got one of those tape measures with the first inch broken off
5. I shall not go on Lol :coat:

Will we get to the end of the week before we are in lock down?

People who have ignored government advice aimed at tackling the coronavirus pandemic are "very selfish", says the health secretary.

Matt Hancock said the government was willing to take "more action" if needed to stop the virus from spreading.

Over the weekend, photos emerged showing crowds of people visiting open spaces across many parts of the UK.

Emergency legislation that would grant powers aimed at tackling the pandemic will be debated by MPs later.

The UK's death toll has reached 289, according to the latest figures - including a person aged 18 with an underlying health condition.

Meanwhile, people across the UK who are at most at risk from Covid-19 are being told stay at home for 12 weeks. The NHS in England has announced it has identified 1.5 million of the most at-risk people, while there are 200,000 in Scotland, 70,000 in Wales and 40,000 in Northern Ireland.

It comes as parents are urged to keep their children at home unless "absolutely necessary", with schools across the UK now closed to most pupils.

There are now 5,683 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK.

"It's very selfish," he told the Today programme. "The NHS is doing everything it can and preparing for the spread of this virus.

"If people go within two metres of others who they don't live with then they're helping to spread the virus - and the consequences of that costs lives and it means that, for everyone, this will go on for longer."

The health secretary said the government advice on social distancing was "really clear" and people should stay two metres apart, staying at home if at all possible.

Asked whether the cabinet would be considering a firmer lockdown when it meets today, he added: "Nothing is off the table. Of course we are looking at what other European countries are doing."

The BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg said the government is now considering closing all non-essential retail stores and introducing fines for people who ignore the current coronavirus advice.

I’ve being of the view that a lockdown is almost inevitable, am going into the office tomorrow to grab my laptop but wouldn’t be surprised if I‘m not back again for a few months. Thankfully I work a job that can be done almost entirely remotely.

One good thing that may come out of this is the realisation people can work from home and it does work, i am fairly sure all the presenters on 5 live are at home and there are some workers at the studio keeping it all going it has been flawless so why go back to the old ways after this is all over.

I have been working from home for the past week and I got to say its frustrating as hell but needs to be done. I think a lockdown is needed more than likley. Although I have to say though my boys do get a little stir crazy and my gf was here at the weekend we took an isolated 40minute walk through the woods.. stayed well away from anyone else, not that we saw anyone really. People will scream and shout at me but I believe this was all done not near anyone and i think a bit of fresh air is still good for everyones wellbeing as long as you are in isolation.

I agree people need to be far less stupid and much more responsible and take distancing very seriously..

1584976711563.png

Back