The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when bird flue was first discussed it was going to wipe 2 to 150 million of us out, that didn't materialise but here we are today with a long way to go and no one knows what the final figure will be, Covid-19 may not be the big one but i fear that will come in the future, i doubt many of us olds will be around to see it if we do get through this.
It was well known the main dangers would more likely come from zoonoses but its mutations that are the danger now.

Well your immune system goes into turmoil after instantly stopping long term smoking. Suddenly become susceptible to colds anf flew, A few friends have had cancer straight after and died. You can pack in then all I'm saying is I won't be.

Last edited:
I was a heavy smoker and when i gave up i became asthmatic a few months after, it may have been a coincidence but i do not think it was.

I was a heavy smoker and when i gave up i became asthmatic a few months after, it may have been a coincidence but i do not think it was.

It wasn't a coincidence. It was almost certainly a result of your years of smoking. As a society, we really need to get out of the habit of assuming our opinions are of equal value to facts. Especially where medical science is concerned. The amount of abject ******** I've read on this thread (and elsewhere online) is astounding.

Quitting smoking causing you turmoil was my favourite.

It wasn't a coincidence. It was almost certainly a result of your years of smoking. As a society, we really need to get out of the habit of assuming our opinions are of equal value to facts. Especially where medical science is concerned. The amount of abject ******** I've read on this thread (and elsewhere online) is astounding.

Well you do sound like a non smoker, I stopped and had inflamitory bowel disease, (pan colitis) I'd been on an e cig. I'm not advising anyone just saying that I will not be packing in instantly again should be able to do so.

Well you do sound like a non smoker, I stopped and had inflamitory bowel disease, (pan colitis) I'd been on an e cig. I'm not advising anyone just saying that I will not be packing in instantly again should be able to do so.

I'm an ex-smoker, but more importantly I'm a healthcare professional with a sufficient enough level of medical knowledge to tell you that your other medical issues were incidental to you quitting smoking.

If you're looking for some brighter news, the cost of heating oil has plummeted to around 25-28p a litre. I've just ordered a tank load, so now we can all be warm and toasty while we are going bananas during lock down / suffering from the lurgy. :laugh8:
What is the usual cost?

I can honestly say it caused me turmoil for the first three months as you could smoke in pubs back then, then it got gradually easier over the next 20 years. :laugh8:

I can honestly say it caused me turmoil for the first three months as you could smoke in pubs back then, then it got gradually easier over the next 20 years. :laugh8:

I hear that! First couple of weeks were the worst for me. Getting out of the habit more than anything.

Im
I'm an ex-smoker, but more importantly I'm a healthcare professional with a sufficient enough level of medical knowledge to tell you that your other medical issues were incidental to you quitting smoking.
I'm not saying you're not better off being a none smoker am I but if you don't think instantly stopping long term smoking for some may or sometimes has adverse affects when you're biologically addicted then that's bolocks.
You wouldn't advise a long term heroine addict to just stop without side effects either. Not getting into an argument here as I'm not advising anyone. Just stating why I won't be. Its a coronavirus thread after all.

I'm not saying you're not better off being a none smoker am I but if you don't think instantly stopping long term smoking for some may or sometimes has adverse affects when you're biologically addicted then that's bolocks.
You wouldn't advise a long term heroine addict to just stop without side effects either. Not getting into an argument here as I'm not advising anyone. Just stating why I won't be. Its a coronavirus thread after all.
If its nicotine you are addicted to as you said earlier, can't you simply use patches or chew gum or whatever folks do as an alternative to smoking to get your nicotine fix. At least you will be giving your lungs a chance.
And not only that, it might be months before you finally succumb to this virus so in the meantime you could try progressively cutting down rather than give up overnight. If you are a 20 a day man and with one less fag per day you could have given up in only three weeks. Think of the money you will save for starters. athumb..
Finally anyone who smokes should have seen what happened to a friend of mine who died last year from progressive and debilitating COPD. But that's another story.

Decided against this post, but there doesn't seem to be a way of simply withdrawing it without overwriting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its nicotine you are addicted to as you said earlier, can't you simply use patches or chew gum or whatever folks do as an alternative to smoking to get your nicotine fix. At least you will be giving your lungs a chance.
And not only that, it might be months before you finally succumb to this virus so in the meantime you could try progressively cutting down rather than give up overnight. If you are a 20 a day man and with one less fag per day you could have given up in only three weeks. Think of the money you will save for starters. athumb..
Finally anyone who smokes should have seen what happened to a friend of mine who died last year from progressive and debilitating COPD. But that's another story.
If only it was that simple, you're body is used to much more than nicotine Terry.

I gave up about 6 years ago after 42 years, i still miss it and use an ecig best thing i ever did, when i had my op open aortic repair in 2018 i had to go on a bike full face mask and wired like an footballer doing a medical the guy asked me if i cycle i said no, so stopping does help, smoking as left me with mild copd i know an ecig wont help but it helps me leave cigs alone, i will never preach to anyone to give up its personal choice

Latest posts

Back