The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prince Charles isnt the only one telling the peasants to get into the fields
Coffey urges unemployed to pick fruit and veg
MP Therese Coffey said people who have lost their jobs in the coronavirus crisis could find roles in the agricultural sector this summer.

The number of people claiming unemployment benefit in the UK soared last month, the first full month of the coronavirus lockdown.
The Suffolk Coastal MP and Work and Pensions Secretary told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I think we should be prepared for the unemployment rate to increase significantly."
But, after insisting "there are a substantial number of vacancies already", she was pressed on where the vacant roles are.
"There's an aspect of retail," she said. "There are quite a lot of vacancies or employment wanted in our agricultural sector to help in our near future.
"Those very much need to be filled as well."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-cambridgeshire-52713584

Just an update the video a good few pages ago I said I was surprised it hadn't been removed has now been removed.

I believe that it is illegal to make spirits only because HMRC want to tax you on how much you make. :(

That maybe the case its also against the rules to discuss distilling in the forum as its illegal to distil in the UK (for whatever reason) if you haven't got a licence.

It's a lot easier when you're 2500 miles from the nearest major country, with no equivalent of 20 million passengers travelling by ferry, no tunnel with 20 million passengers travelling through it, no direct flights to Wuhan, an entire country with half the air passengers of Heathrow and 10% of UK airports, no real intercity passenger trains, 15x lower population density than England and so on.

I did state there were differences between us and NZ but my point being why did we not implement restrictions on people coming from known hot spots. When Italy was at it's peak I saw somewhere planes were still arriving from Italy with no sort of check or monitoring of the passengers. We failed to use our island status as an advantage as NZ did. I don't read newspapers but do watch TV news, hear radio news and read various internet news pages and from what I recall we knew it was coming but the county just carried on regardless.

And that's the kind of mixing politics and science that I despise, as it really doesn't help to convey the message when you're doing it in a way that makes half your audience switch off. I may not be a Johnson fan but it really depresses me when people try to play petty politics with this stuff. Which is why I generally avoid the politics thread here....

It's complicated.
I did state there were differences between us and NZ but my point being why did we not implement restrictions on people coming from known hot spots. When Italy was at it's peak I saw somewhere planes were still arriving from Italy with no sort of check or monitoring of the passengers. We failed to use our island status as an advantage as NZ did. I don't read newspapers but do watch TV news, hear radio news and read various internet news pages and from what I recall we knew it was coming but the county just carried on regardless.

FWIW I have no political leaning, I have voted for all 3 main parties at some point, and would have the same opinion no matter who was in power if they had acted as this government has.

For what it is worth I would much sooner be one step behind, usually a good stance to take, let the foolhardy lead, learn by their mistakes.

Seem to remember being told we were a couple of weeks behind the likes of Italy, Spain and Germany so could we have learnt from their experiences?

Seem to remember being told we were a couple of weeks behind the likes of Italy, Spain and Germany so could we have learnt from their experiences?

The main problem was the lack of PPE i doubt two weeks would have made much difference to that.

George Eustace doing thr Daily Briefing today. That's the third person today in a postion of prominence saying the plebs should be out in the fields

"Eustice is now talking about the availability of foreign labour for the harvest.
Normally workers from countries like Romania and Bulgaria come.
But only around a third of them are here, he says.
He says the government is encouraging Britons to take these jobs.
He says staff who are furloughed may want to supplement their income with a second job."
F

How many died yesterday not seen it announced but ONS are quoting a total of 41,000 for all Corvid related deaths.

11,000 have died in Care Homes. I can't understand how anyone can defend the government. This is not a political issue its a management issue and if you're management at work had failed so badly they would have been sacked.

11,000 have died in Care Homes. I can't understand how anyone can defend the government. This is not a political issue its a management issue and if you're management at work had failed so badly they would have been sacked.
They were shovelling the aged out of hospital back into nursing homes from the very start of all this whether they were fit to leave or not according to a frontline NHS member of my family, many of who it was clear were suffering from COVID.

They were shovelling the aged out of hospital back into nursing homes from the very start of all this whether they were fit to leave or not according to a frontline NHS member of my family, many of who it was clear were suffering from COVID.
I think they had little choice due to lack of ventilators, PPE and testing capacity. They had to decide who had a better change of survival, we are a rich country and this is the 21st Century not the dark ages. If Hancock and Johnson had any humanity they would offer their resignations.

I think they had little choice due to lack of ventilators, PPE and testing capacity. They had to decide who had a better change of survival, we are a rich country and this is the 21st Century not the dark ages. If Hancock and Johnson had any humanity they would offer their resignations.
I know why they were doing it. Someone will have to answer for it eventually though, too many people are dead to be able to sweep it under the carpet. There'll be massive unrest if they don't get a handle on unemployment, and a scandal like this could easily be the trigger.

Sister in law's care home were told not to send any to hospital if they thought they might have it.

Latest posts

Back