Thinking of going AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephent

Reaction score
I have done quite a few kits now, and while its drinkable, its nothing like going to the pub or buying branded beers and lagers. I am not to keen to giving it to friends and family either.

So, I am thinking maybe AG? But I have a few questions.

1. Obviously the equipment (which I will be making) will cost a bit at first, but how do brewing costs compare afterwards?
2. Is the taste really that different? Is it really worth the extra time and effort?
3. Do I really need a wort chiller? This would be the most expensive item to make, so cant I just let it cool? If i put the wort in an airtight sealed FV (like for brewing wine) with an airlock, will this prevent infection while it cools?

All your advice will be appreciated.

Steve

You will see a big difference the quality of the beer. I've never worked out price per pint as is quality I've always strived for. You will need to spend some money at the start but there are ways of keeping down the cost, making bits yourself, buying second hand etc. a just starting with essentials some of which you will have from kit brewing. For years I cooled by putting the FV in a cold bath with water changes ever 20-30 mins. takes about 2 hours but works. Post your location maybe someone here will invite you to watch and taste a brew.

It doesn't have to be expensive - and the wort chiller is not essential, especially with these colder nights now. At the very least you will need a boiler (convert from a bucket FV for about £30 inc the cost of the FV) and a Mash Tun (convert from a picnic cooler - maybe £40 all done). A single 2m length of copper will be enough for the Mash Tun and Hop Strainer (in the boiler) plus a few elbow bends and t pieces.

Well worth doing - the beer is vastly better than any Kit as far as I am concerned. Ingredient costs are about £12-£15 per brew inc energy usage.

I would like to know what people say about letting it cool in a fermenter rather than using a chiller. I am hoping to go the AG route by the end of this year, so will keep an eye on this. I would think the end product would probably taste better too as you can tweak it to your taste+ the ingredients are fresher...?

Going AG is the way to go. I have been brewing AG now for over a year. It does take a bit of practice and getting to know your kit, but so worth it.

I am now producing beers that are so much better than the bought supermarket stuff or indeed from the pub.

Setting up does cost a few quid, boiler, mash tun etc. If you make your own you do save a heap of cash. Mine is all my own work including the cooler ( which cost me about £35). Make friends with the local indian take away or resturant, the mango chutney barrels are usually free and make brilliant HLTs and boilers and FVs

BUT:-

25KG of pale malt, I am now buying at £12 a bag ( enough for 4ish brews)
Hops fron online about £3.50 for 100g
Yeast is about £2.50 for notty dried. I use liquid yeast these days, cost me nowt ( reclaimed from local micro brewery and also scavanged from bottles of Fullers IPA
bit of thin bleach for cleaning and steralising

Working that little lot out costs me about 20-25p per pint

Is there a post anywhere that explains the AG process step by step? The how-tos I've seen dive straight in with mash tun this, HLT that and frankly I get lost very quickly.

I'm only two beer kits in, and I'll probably do some extract brews as my next stage, but I'm very interested in at least getting to know the process, and why you do things when you do, etc etc.

Cheers all!

The Goatreich said:
Forgive me, I've just found this. I don't know why I didn't see it before.
I've used that for guiding me through my first 2 AG brews and it's been a great help, having only 'gone over to the dark side' a month ago I'd definitely recommend it. Works out cheaper than premium kits and even as a novice the quality is a lot better and so many exciting possibilities for new beers

I've said it before and I'll say it again - try brew in a bag!
So easy, minimal investment in kit and allows you all the freedom and versatility of AG brewing.

As for wort chilling. I use a water bath and whack in a load of those frozen blue plastic chiller blocks you get for cool boxes. I'm thinking of filling big ziplock freezer bags with water and freezing them into big blocks for the ice bath for my next brew.

Go for it Steve ......

I brewed from kits donkeys years ago, started again year before last, now brew AG :thumb:

It really is not difficult, a bit more 'involved' but the results are brilliant and well worth the effort :thumb:

Brew days arnt really much longer imo...mashing takes 5 mins of attention really, other than that its watching tv and eating for the first 90 mins :p

i just read that you can use PET bottles filled with frozen water to cool down fast, just need to make sure the outsides are sterile before chucking them in.
im also new to homebrew, but did an AG years ago with my old man. so this years plan is a few kits, the get a cornie set up off norm and finally treat myself to AG setup in about 10 months once the basic lessons are learnt.
Gl with you setup

I think you know the answers really, ;) :lol: , and you know you want to.
Can you tell difference between chalk and cheese. ;)
The cheese is cheaper in this case but does take more time.
S

and what about doing lagers or clone recipes? Are they close to the originals? I quite like stella and miller genuine draft, so if I could replicate these, them I am defo in.

Ah by the way, I too am going all grain and planning to use brew in a bag method. Cost is calculated at about 100 quid inc. Chiller, you can get a boiler at forum sponsor the homebrew company for 60 quid :)

Good point about lagers. SWMBO asked me whether it would be possible to brew something similar to Corona with an all grain setup. She is wheat intolerant, and likes most pale ales, but over all prefers crisp lagers. Corona is wheat free, and lovely so is her go to choice in the pub, and if we could recreate something similar from scratch at home that would be absolutely stunning.

Latest posts

Back