Verdant Putty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It Putty time
#uptheputt

Oh my days this is good. I usually find things that are hyped are often a disappointment, just ask my wife. But this is top class. So drinkable, so fresh, so dank, so fruity, so soft.

grab some if you can.

Attachments

• 20230121_220620.jpg
    20230121_220620.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
thought I'd post about my latest putty batch. this was kegged on weds after a 7 day ferment, crash to 15C, and 3 days with dry hops at 19g per litre which is my biggest dry hop yet. under on OG but down to 1.012 FG and 7.5% ABV. 30psi for 2 days and it's pretty well carbonated.

it really does smell like the real thing, and the colour is good too. flavour wise it's a bit like the 2 cans of this years Putty that I've tried so far - a bit too green with a slightly rasping aftertaste (which could be down to the hot side galaxy additions). super impressed though and I think it will calm down a bit given only 2 days off the hops, as I'm hoping the cans will.

I think my recipe is public on brewfather so pls have a look and let me know if you'd do anything different !

Attachments

• 20230210_193732.jpg
    20230210_193732.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
Ok giving your recipe a whirl tomorrow Kye, did you end up using 2 packs of verdant in the end? Have to say I missed the comments when ordering on Malt Miller.

But cheers for sharing in advance.

Ok giving your recipe a whirl tomorrow Kye, did you end up using 2 packs of verdant in the end? Have to say I missed the comments when ordering on Malt Miller.

But cheers for sharing in advance.

I stayed with 1 pack. have also brewed clones of unconventional tactics (which was the beer I've been most happy about in 35 brews) and one more PSI also with 1 pack. I think I had poor oxygenation of the wort when I 1st brewed the putty and have since made a bigger effort of getting as much sloshing of the wort as it transfers to fermenter and building up a nice foamy head before closing up. I also did an experiment in one brew - a standard NEIPA at 6.5% - using 1 pack of verdant yeast and 1 pack of the clipper yeast (which is a Conan strain I think) from CML but the yeast cake was outrageous and I lost over 2 litres to it. Also didn't really like the taste so went back to 1 pack Verdant for NEIPA and DIPA since then. The verdant yeast is really something else. I'm brewing a modified version of even sharks need water at the weekend but with some of the galaxy replaced with azacca and mosaic as I messed up my most recent hop order. Hope it will be a good one.

Good luck with the brew day and pls post your results after!

Thanks for the reply!

Now need to fart out with my water, went to spotless water to pick up some RO water, I use camping water carriers, handle snapped, SPLOSH! Picked up a couple of bottles of ashbeck from Tesco to top it up by 6 or so litres 😭

Attachments

• IMG-20230302-WA0041.jpeg
    IMG-20230302-WA0041.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the reply!

Now need to fart out with my water, went to spotless water to pick up some RO water, I use camping water carriers, handle snapped, SPLOSH! Picked up a couple of bottles of ashbeck from Tesco to top it up by 6 or so litres 😭
thanks for the mention of spotless water - had never heard of it! i use an RO filter at home but just discovered there's one of these down the road so went and got my 35 litres for £1.60, bargain!

I think I had poor oxygenation of the wort when I 1st brewed the putty and have since made a bigger effort of getting as much sloshing of the wort as it transfers to fermenter and building up a nice foamy head before closing up
You shouldn't need too much oxygen for dry yeast, it already has most of what it needs in the form of sterols already (unlike liquid yeast) and of course oxidation is always the enemy for super-hoppy styles of beer.

You shouldn't need too much oxygen for dry yeast, it already has most of what it needs in the form of sterols already (unlike liquid yeast) and of course oxidation is always the enemy for super-hoppy styles of beer.
totally, after that fermzilla gets closed up there's zero oxygen until I drink it; dry hop thru the purged collection jar and even purge the transfer lines with co2 immediately before the transfer to keg. I reckon a little splashing around is always a good thing when transferring into the fermenter though right? even with dry yeast the more oxygen going into the fermenter the better to feed the yeast.

I reckon a little splashing around is always a good thing when transferring into the fermenter though right? even with dry yeast the more oxygen going into the fermenter the better to feed the yeast.
Meh - on balance I'd tend not to, they should have enough sterols for 3-3.5 cell divisions and even with unlimited oxygen they're not going to do not much more than 4 cell divisions so what's already in there should see them through.

Brew day went all ok, OG ended up being 1.066 rather than 1.076, hoping that one pack of Verdant can hopefully get me down 1.010 😂 had a mate over and some odd jobs to run through with him, had a few after we'd done those, also went to Pressure Drop X Verdant and All Good Beer in Hackney, ended up in a right old pickle.

thought I'd post about my latest putty batch. this was kegged on weds after a 7 day ferment, crash to 15C, and 3 days with dry hops at 19g per litre which is my biggest dry hop yet. under on OG but down to 1.012 FG and 7.5% ABV. 30psi for 2 days and it's pretty well carbonated.

it really does smell like the real thing, and the colour is good too. flavour wise it's a bit like the 2 cans of this years Putty that I've tried so far - a bit too green with a slightly rasping aftertaste (which could be down to the hot side galaxy additions). super impressed though and I think it will calm down a bit given only 2 days off the hops, as I'm hoping the cans will.

I think my recipe is public on brewfather so pls have a look and let me know if you'd do anything different !
Where did you say I can find your recipe for this? Looks amazing!

Also do you rock up to Spotless Water and just fill up your own containers with RO water? And does that literally mean 0ppm for everything Ca, Cl, SO4, Mg, Na, Bicarbonate and what would that make the pH?

Where did you say I can find your recipe for this? Looks amazing!

Also do you rock up to Spotless Water and just fill up your own containers with RO water? And does that literally mean 0ppm for everything Ca, Cl, SO4, Mg, Na, Bicarbonate and what would that make the pH?
PH 7.0.
And yes it's just like a petrol pump albeit a lot faster. I fill fermenting buckets and kegs if I have them free.

PH 7.0.
And yes it's just like a petrol pump albeit a lot faster. I fill fermenting buckets and kegs if I have them free.
I thought RO water was slightly acid 6-6.5 and pure water was 7.0. Did you measure it? I've emailed them anyway so hopefully they know.

I thought RO water was slightly acid 6-6.5 and pure water was 7.0. Did you measure it? I've emailed them anyway so hopefully they know.
It will be more acidic than 7 once you've exposed it to air (maybe 5-6), as it will absorb CO2 very quickly, and there is nothing to buffer the carbonic acid.
For the purposes of brewing pH calculations you can set the bicarbonate to zero, then it should tally up nicely. I've had no issues with mash ph

I thought RO water was slightly acid 6-6.5 and pure water was 7.0. Did you measure it?
It's irrelevant - the important thing is that it has no buffering capability so it will change pH in response to negligible amounts of acid or base. (including carbonic acid from atmospheric CO2 dissolving in it as you slosh it around driving back from Spotless).

It will be more acidic than 7 once you've exposed it to air (maybe 5-6), as it will absorb CO2 very quickly, and there is nothing to buffer the carbonic acid.
For the purposes of brewing pH calculations you can set the bicarbonate to zero, then it should tally up nicely. I've had no issues with mash ph
Thanks for the info.

I use the brewers friend advance water calculator. Would I just set the pH to 7.0 and the bicarbonate to 0 then any adjustments I make using salts will change it correctly?

Sorry I found it here. Is this the most up to date version? Also did you add bicarbonate back in to the RO to get to 16mg/L?
here's the link to my latest version, hope this works. tbh that 16mg might be wrong, I didn't add any bicarb so it's prob 0. I concentrate on the chloride and sulphate, both absolute amount and ratio to each other. also a bit of sodium in the boil.

https://share.brewfather.app/Nn47sXMCXodZyC

Back