Verdant Putty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I know that New England dry yeast is Conan. Just be careful as it's an even lower cell count than the Verdant one. I'm using Omega's DIPA liquid yeast which is also Conan. If you want to stay dry I know people who have had great success with pitching 1pack of Verdant and 1 pack of New England. The Conan one gives a bit of help with attenuation
I like it, will defo try that cheers

I've also had good luck using the Clipper yeast from Crossmyloof - it's described as a Conan on their site, but chatting to Steve, he says it's very similar to London Ale III. Lovely peach flavours to the yeast!

Thought I'd post an update on the final result of the Verdant Putty. I'm really pleased, the aroma is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. The mouthfeel is on par, thick and smooth, with mine slightly more carbonated, and the taste is very similar. The real thing is slightly more dank and also more bitter, I think owing to my final gravity finishing around around 1.017 mark. Mine is on the left btw. I used RO water with water additions which has been a game changer in the few brews I've done with it. Recipe is above in the thread if anyone wants to try it, I would highly recommend. Dangerous having this on tap!

Attachments

• 20220304_183833.jpg
    20220304_183833.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 28
Thought I'd post an update on the final result of the Verdant Putty. I'm really pleased, the aroma is almost indistinguishable from the real thing. The mouthfeel is on par, thick and smooth, with mine slightly more carbonated, and the taste is very similar. The real thing is slightly more dank and also more bitter, I think owing to my final gravity finishing around around 1.017 mark. Mine is on the left btw. I used RO water with water additions which has been a game changer in the few brews I've done with it. Recipe is above in the thread if anyone wants to try it, I would highly recommend. Dangerous having this on tap!
That looks seriously good. I'm must try it again if I can get my hands on some decent Galaxy. I used 2020 Galaxy I got from Yakima and it was terrible. Got more from Get er Brewed and it wasn't much better. Haven't bothered to get any of the 2021 batch yet. Where did you get your Galaxy from?

That looks seriously good. I'm must try it again if I can get my hands on some decent Galaxy. I used 2020 Galaxy I got from Yakima and it was terrible. Got more from Get er Brewed and it wasn't much better. Haven't bothered to get any of the 2021 batch yet. Where did you get your Galaxy from?
interesting, it was 100g from malt Miller and I had a bit from crossmyloof that I threw in for the extra 20g or so that I needed. I'm not sure I could tell if a single hop was bad, how did you know it was so bad (ie was it a single hop brew maybe?) and what did it smell/taste like?

I'm really impressed if I may say, my best brew yet and smells and tastes like a proper Verdant. I'm loving this grain bill (see recipe), will defo use again

interesting, it was 100g from malt Miller and I had a bit from crossmyloof that I threw in for the extra 20g or so that I needed. I'm not sure I could tell if a single hop was bad, how did you know it was so bad (ie was it a single hop brew maybe?) and what did it smell/taste like?

I'm really impressed if I may say, my best brew yet and smells and tastes like a proper Verdant. I'm loving this grain bill (see recipe), will defo use again
Previous to brewing Putty I did the Even Sharks clone. I already had some 2019 Galaxy from Yakima but was short so I ordered more, the 2020 and the difference in aroma between the two was night and day. The 19 batch was pure tropical fruit with passion fruit dominant. The 20 batch smelled like broccoli, unpleasant vegetal matter. Both beers turned out poor enough. Just gave up on Galaxy after that. I'm going to go back to try the Verdant yeast on my next brew. Hopefully I can get decent attenuation this time.

Previous to brewing Putty I did the Even Sharks clone. I already had some 2019 Galaxy from Yakima but was short so I ordered more, the 2020 and the difference in aroma between the two was night and day. The 19 batch was pure tropical fruit with passion fruit dominant. The 20 batch smelled like broccoli, unpleasant vegetal matter. Both beers turned out poor enough. Just gave up on Galaxy after that. I'm going to go back to try the Verdant yeast on my next brew. Hopefully I can get decent attenuation this time.
wow that sounds terrible re the broccoli. I did the even sharks recipe with galaxy from geterbrewed and it was really good. this was early 2021 but can't remember if it was a 2019 or 2020 batch. I also did a 'user upper' recipe of a Verdant IPA using the even sharks grain bill and chucked 75g cascade in with some simcoe citra and mosaic, it was one of those amazing accidents where it just came out absolutely banging. maybe just avoid galaxy for a bit, there are so many other great hops.

re yeast, I bought some clipper yeast from CML; next Verdant style brew I do im doing to put a pack of this in with 1 of verdant and see how it is, should get full attenuation and hopefully a new flavour profile

Had a meeting at 1030, new lot sold out very quickly 😭

Definitely going to give the above recipe a bash.

How much were they going for? Going to sample some from keg on Friday.

How much were they going for? Going to sample some from keg on Friday.

@AJA £40 for a six pack, which seemed steep, but I went back to my emails from last year and saw I paid £39 for a six pack in Jan 2022. A £1 year on year increase doesn't seem bad in the current climate, but they're still not exactly cheap.

Unfortunately, my price checking meant that they sold out by the time I went to checkout and the cans I had in my trolley had been removed 😂

Alas. I paid £8 for a can of Whale Sharks 2 weeks ago, so £6.67 not bad at all.

Going to be dank and grassy I'd bet. I'm straight off to the pub after work so will be able to share notes too.

It's grassy and a bit hot. If you have cans, personally I'd wait a while. Massive aroma, tropical and stone fruit, just rather unrounded.

Back