What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really interesting how different your analysis of this beer is from mine. Shows just how subjective a taste test is.
I am going to read yours again. I purposely waited on this one to give it an unbiased tasting as I read yours a couple weeks back.

sipping on a small pour of a barley wine I made about 3 years ago. tastes of bourbon, dates and malts and is quite good now.

20200926_132939.jpg

you are welcome and thanks for sending it too, it reminded me of the stout I brewed with t58 they had very similar aromas. That is interesting about the water I could have sworn there was quite a bit of calcium in there, I split it between two glasses and the one on the left was the second half of the bottle and was less minerally than the one on the right. I would love to see the recipe.

Pale malt 4kg
Pilsner 2kg
160g crystal
160g caramunich
120g crystal
400g special b
260g roast barley

Mashed for 90mins at 68.

35g centennial @60
400g dark candi sugar @5

Take the mash temp with a pinch of salt with that amount of mash I struggled to get the temp right.

Pale malt 4kg
Pilsner 2kg
160g crystal
160g caramunich
120g crystal
400g special b
260g roast barley

Mashed for 90mins at 68.

35g centennial @60
400g dark candi sugar @5

Take the mash temp with a pinch of salt with that amount of mash I struggled to get the temp right.
I really should have gotten more fruitiness from this with that much special b, interesting.

Pale malt 4kg
Pilsner 2kg
160g crystal
160g caramunich
120g crystal
400g special b
260g roast barley

Mashed for 90mins at 68.

35g centennial @60
400g dark candi sugar @5

I have this to look forward too

Started with this earlier.
Better than the 'Golden Ale' they do.
This ones a tad meatier. 5%. Flavoursome. Good head and great colour. Taste - i taste honey, shortbread. Oranges.

Id have it again. Reasonable and good value.

Attachments

• 20200926_134853.jpg
    20200926_134853.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 49
"Wheal Rose Steam Beer" by @pilgrimhudd

DSC_8307.JPG

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring and a thin head remains. Lacing is really good.

Colour - Rich deep copper

Aroma - Malty; Maybe just a hint of fruity esters.

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Modest carbonation which works for me, not so bloaty (going by the BJCP guidelines I wonder if it's a bit under-carbed for the style, but I like it as it is). Fairly dry finish.

Taste - There are some nice toasty notes in there but not overstated. Perhaps a hint of mintiness and a bit of fruity ester and caramel on the finish.

Overall - I don't think I know this style at all - but I really like this beer. Looking at the BJCP notes,

"A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing rustic, traditional American hop characteristics. "

Yup 👍

"Finish fairly dry and crisp, with a lingering hop bitterness and a firm, grainy malt flavor."

Check 👍

Or reminds me a bit of a Czech Amber I made at the start of the year - it's got the drinkability of a lager but with a bit more presence and character from the darker malts. I could drink this by a warm fire in the winter, or alternatively have a pint of this in one hand and a burger in the other at a summer barbecue - a real Swiss army knife of a beer! 👍

2CDCA6C9-A1D5-4F8C-98B6-3FFC2B96ADFB.jpeg
Big Lamp Bitter Clone (GW Recipe)

With the weather taking a turn for the worst this week I couldn't be happier as I can now dispense from an unrefrigerated corney and it is the perfect temperature.

Beer has perhaps a tad more bitterness than is ideal would be tempted to either drop the levels of hops or perhaps add a little more crystal malt. Still I could happily drink this all evening.

View attachment 33264

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring and a thin head remains. Lacing is really good.

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Modest carbonation which works for me, not so bloaty (going by the BJCP guidelines I wonder if it's a bit under-carbed for the style, but I like it as it is). Fairly dry finish.

Taste - There are some nice toasty notes in there but not overstated. Perhaps a hint of mintiness and a bit of fruity ester and caramel on the finish.

Overall - I don't think I know this style at all - but I really like this beer. Looking at the BJCP notes,

"A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing rustic, traditional American hop characteristics. "

Yup 👍

"Finish fairly dry and crisp, with a lingering hop bitterness and a firm, grainy malt flavor."

Check 👍

Or reminds me a bit of a Czech Amber I made at the start of the year - it's got the drinkability of a lager but with a bit more presence and character from the darker malts. I could drink this by a warm fire in the winter, or alternatively have a pint of this in one hand and a burger in the other at a summer barbecue - a real Swiss army knife of a beer! 👍

Thanks matt, think your right about its adaptability, I'm still unsure about it, i do like it, but I'm not sure when/if I'll brew it again. I'm also glad it didn't go off like a bottle of champagne which one of these did to a colleague of mine the other day....

Looking forward to your pale and ipa which I have in the fridge for later.

View attachment 33264

Yup 👍

Check 👍

I had this as well. Very unique style of beer.👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back