What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HB golden ale while I monitor todays boil
acheers.
20201018_130512.jpg

it'll be tonight at some point but i've got a glass of my evil dog IPA which is straight out of the FV.
such behaviour is no doubt appalling to most but it's a very tasty drop and my first ever home brew beer.
haven't had a mcewan's export in years. quite fancy one now it has been mentioned.

AG#53 Munich Dunkel

View attachment 34293

First Impressions - Decent head on pouring but doesn't stick around.

Colour - Very dark brown.

Aroma - Malty, a little sweet

Carbonation and mouthfeel - Modest carbonation, just enough. Medium mouthfeel, more than you might expect for only 4.7% ABV and very un-lager-like.

Taste - Like liquid granary bread crusts, possibly a hint of toast. Dark and rich but not roasty. Sweetness in balance with bitterness so it's neither caramelly (there's no crystal malt in it!) nor harsh.

Overall - I really like this beer, it's very moreish, malty and satisfying. It's not a lawnmower beer or a sink-half-a-dozen-of-them-by-the-bbq beer but as the weather turns cooler it's very drinkable and absolutely on point for me.

Looks lovely that!

I was surprised myself that the hops did not shine more myself. I still thought it was a very good beer
Wow yeah very surprising, redx seems to be a very rich malt but it's really good, malty but not cloying sweet. Red ales are usually just ok for me but this one was solid.

Trying out a little glass 👀 of my English Ale.
IMG_20201018_134718_372.jpg

I tried two different levels of carbonation to see what was best. This is the lower (1.8 vols) of the two and it makes such a difference. It's so much better. The head retention has improved from last week too, lovely and creamy
IMG_20201018_135211.jpg

A pint of my pumpkin (squash ale). Its improved a lot over the last few weeks, a beautiful red colour, an earthy hoppy aroma, decent carbonation and a nice frothy head.

Tastewise, quite sweet, possibly a little cloying but not overly so a hint of the spices used but again not overly so, you can taste the squash a little I think, it's more vegetably tasting than anything I've brewed before which is different but not bad.

Not sure if I could drink lots of it but it's not half bad!

20201018_165302.jpg

A pint of my pumpkin (squash ale). Its improved a lot over the last few weeks, a beautiful red colour, an earthy hoppy aroma, decent carbonation and a nice frothy head.

Tastewise, quite sweet, possibly a little cloying but not overly so a hint of the spices used but again not overly so, you can taste the squash a little I think, it's more vegetably tasting than anything I've brewed before which is different but not bad.

View attachment 34309

Happy Halloween!!! 🥳

View attachment 34309
Not sure you could drink lots of it..??
Go and give yourself a good talking to!

I really need to get a saison on. What's the best you've brewed?

Either the cardamom saison or my “Goofie” saison. The latter is loosely based on Goose Island Sofie- hence the name. I used orange peel for a hint of citrus and Nelson Sauvin hops for a hint on being aged in white wine barrels. I’m not sure it quite delivered as intended but it was really good all the same.

Edit: I just checked my brew day posts and found the recipe for “Goofie” in post #79.

Last edited:
Either the cardamom saison or my “Goofie” saison. The latter is loosely based on Goose Island Sofie- hence the name. I used orange peel for a hint of citrus and Nelson Sauvin hops for a hint on being aged in white wine barrels. I’m not sure it quite delivered as intended but it was really good all the same.

Edit: I just checked my brew day posts and found the recipe for “Goofie” in post #79.

I'll check it out! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back