What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Griff>

To be clear, the kolsch I tried was a shop-bought one, and trust me, there were no saison undertones in that one. But I have another to try too, that may be a little different. I was a bit surprised by the colour too, it was very pale, even by lager standards, and again I was kinda expecting something a tad darker.

One of the Belgian Wit's entered into the competition
IMG_20210730_193103914.jpg

I'm drinking a bitter from my local brewery. Which I've never tried before. It's a lovely colour, sort of at the tawny end of the bitter register (small amount of choc malt, maybe?). Despite a modest ABV of 4%, a very nice pint. And so cheap! They seem to be charging me £1.80 + VAT a bottle.

Would Buy Again.

The science behind it is that the alpha acids “complex” copper ions that would otherwise make it into the final packaged beer. Iron and copper ions are pro-oxidative. In theory adding 1g of high alpha-acid hops to the mash per litre reduces the likelihood of oxidation down the line. This also improves flavour and extends the hop fade of your beer.

I’m trying it for the first time as one of several changes to try and increase the hop aroma and flavour of my hoppy ales.

It doesn’t affect bitterness (much) because the alpha-acids are not isomerised very much at mash temperatures and are changed by the time you boil them.
Not knowing what percentage of the hop addition to add to the mash I just put 5g Chinook and 5g Willamette in my PJob, interested to see if I can tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back