What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
33B9514C-A36E-4E78-8766-AF1CDEE27493.jpeg
Kweik Bitter

It’s a tad hazy but delicious, (Fuggles, Bramling Cross and Styrian Golding) not bad given I only pitched the yeast last Saturday.

Right now, as per the Brewing At Room Temp thread, I'm drinking a Kolsch (I was brewing one, but realised I had never tasted one before). Anyway, I don't know how much variation there is in this type (I have two different ones), but to my untutored taste-buds, this is a *just* a lager. Nice enough, as lager goes, but... I suppose I was expecting something a bit different.
Ive just started drinking my first one, nothing to compare it to, but it's definitely not 'just' a lager, there is almost a saison style twang which I am not sure is from the Hallertau hops or the Wyeast 2565, neither of which I have used before.

Day 6 and it getting better, it’s better than than carling and Carlberg phish I like it and will brew it again, I like sorachi and saaz combo to View attachment 51778
Think I remember you saying you fermented this with Voss, currently drinking my bitter (also made with Voss at 40°C) but am thinking of trying something similar though may just do a straight Saaz smash.

IMG_20210730_175441.jpg

My first English Bitter brew using my new Hopcat all-in-one.
Gravity drawn fresh from the smaller polypin bag-in-a-box.
I externalised the pump feeds, after the method of @CptCaveman so it was pumped from the fermenter (another 20L bag-in-a-box) into the polypins, so v. little aeration.
Very moreish, finished at 1004 (in the measuring cylinder before the glass to drink). Started at 1044, so 5.4%.

Think I remember you saying you fermented this with Voss, currently drinking my bitter (also made with Voss at 40°C) but am thinking of trying something similar though may just do a straight Saaz smash.
Voss slurry 3 tea spoons at 40c 2 tea spoons of wilko nutrient and let it free fall, just kegged a pale ale using same method

Voss slurry 3 tea spoons at 40c 2 tea spoons of wilko nutrient and let it free fall, just kegged a pale ale using same method
Thanks for that I’ve got a jar of slurry in the fridge that I was trying to decide what to do with as feel like a change from bitter so a sudo larger seems good to me.

What's the idea with mashing hops, does it work the same was as the boil and add bittering by adding so early in process?
The science behind it is that the alpha acids “complex” copper ions that would otherwise make it into the final packaged beer. Iron and copper ions are pro-oxidative. In theory adding 1g of high alpha-acid hops to the mash per litre reduces the likelihood of oxidation down the line. This also improves flavour and extends the hop fade of your beer.

I’m trying it for the first time as one of several changes to try and increase the hop aroma and flavour of my hoppy ales.

It doesn’t affect bitterness (much) because the alpha-acids are not isomerised very much at mash temperatures and are changed by the time you boil them.

The science behind it is that the alpha acids “complex” copper ions that would otherwise make it into the final packaged beer. Iron and copper ions are pro-oxidative. In theory adding 1g of high alpha-acid hops to the mash per litre reduces the likelihood of oxidation down the line. This also improves flavour and extends the hop fade of your beer.

I’m trying it for the first time as one of several changes to try and increase the hop aroma and flavour of my hoppy ales.

It doesn’t affect bitterness (much) because the alpha-acids are not isomerised very much at mash temperatures and are changed by the time you boil them.
That's interesting, especially the hop fade, I had huge issues with my last Proper Job following my mates recipe, it was stunning for a week, then fell off ridiculously as the keg went down.
But he brews it without closed transfers etc no problem, so it may be my process.

That's interesting, especially the hop fade, I had huge issues with my last Proper Job following my mates recipe, it was stunning for a week, then fell off ridiculously as the keg went down.
But he brews it without closed transfers etc no problem, so it may be my process.
Sounds like an ideal candidate to try mash hopping and see if it does any good 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back