What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foxy's Anglo-ANZ ESB
OG 1,055 FG 1,013 ABV 5.5% IBU SMPH 45 SRM 10.6 Mash pH 5.3

4.5 kg Gladfield Ale Malt
0.5 kg Flaked Maize
0.18 kg Victory Malt
0.20 kg Gladiator Malt
0.12 kg Simpsons Crystal Dark (late addition)
0.20 kg Voodoo Schooner (late addition)

20g EKG FWH
20g Super Pride 60 mins
20g Styrian Goldings 30mins

15 mins Protein / Beta Glucan rest @ 49C (because of the flaked adjunct)
20 mins Mash out @ 77C
15 mins Vorlauf
60 mins Saccharification rest @ 67C
60 mins boil.

Late addition added at mash out.
003.JPG

Vorlauf
004.JPG

Boil
005.JPG

Porter, based on the Ace of Spades recipe from Malt Miller. Lovely combo of Centennial and Willamette attracted me to it. Slightly modified due to not having enough medium crystal, a touch of Munich and extra maris otter

Kernel export porter, recipe from @dave_77

4.62kg Minch malt
420g brown malt
420g dark crystal
420g chocolate malt
120g roasted barley added at mash out, recipe asked for black malt but I was out.

All Chinook hops

15g@fw
20g@15mins
30g@10mins
40g@5mins
65g dry hop

Yeast will be WLP 023

Will update numbers later, it's only coming up to the boil

Last edited:
Kernel export porter, recipe from @dave_77

4.62kg Munich malt
420g brown malt
420g dark crystal
420g chocolate malt
120g roasted barley added at mash out, recipe asked for black malt but I was out.

All Chinook hops

15g@fw
20g@15mins
30g@10mins
40g@5mins
65g dry hop

Yeast will be WLP 023

Will update numbers later, it's only coming up to the boil
Im not sure I have ever used that much Munich...must be a typo

No brewing but needed to get a move on with my supply chain so having blitzed my floor decided to crack on with bottling.
Just finished bottling two batches,Golden Ale #2 and Hazelwood Brewery Best Bitter #3..or maybe #4! For a satisfying total of 94 bottles. Time for a sit down then plan the assault on tonight's curry..

Tropical Stout MKII. Following my infected brew this week, I decided to use the **** weather in Central Scotland, and the wife on a late shift, to my advantage and let the wee man play his PS4 while I put a brew on. The wife's going to be ecstatic when she comes home to a house smelling of brew day. 😂 Needs must, but smelly candles on in every room now.

All went fine apart from starting the recirc pump without the tube in the grain basket. Wet sticky floor tiles.

Fingers crossed that this one doesn't get infected. Everything was deep cleaned and sanitised thoroughly. 🤞 Chilling the wort at the moment.

Tropical Stout MKII. Following my infected brew this week, I decided to use the **** weather in Central Scotland, and the wife on a late shift, to my advantage and let the wee man play his PS4 while I put a brew on. The wife's going to be ecstatic when she comes home to a house smelling of brew day. 😂 Needs must, but smelly candles on in every room now.

All went fine apart from starting the recirc pump without the tube in the grain basket. Wet sticky floor tiles.

Fingers crossed that this one doesn't get infected. Everything was deep cleaned and sanitised thoroughly. 🤞 Chilling the wort at the moment.
That sounds like my house 😂
I have fermenters hid around the house, my tropical stout was in the cupboard you keep your coat's. She told me there is a while smell of ***** coming from in there, I told her I would take a look 😉

Last edited:
That sounds like my house 😂
I have fermenters hid around the house, my tropical stout was in the cupboard you keep your coat's. She told me there is a whole smell of ***** coming from in there, I told her I would take a look 😉
The wife's just came home. Not a peep about smells, but she's been banned from the kitchen until I get my wort into the FV. 😁

Brewed this yesterday, AG #33 fermenting in fridge now.

Chinook & Cascade White IPA

18L batch BIAB ( no sparge )
24L water total

ABV 5.6%
OG 1.057
FG 1.014
EBC 10.2
IBU 55

4.4kg extra pale Maris Otter
350gm Caramalt
200gm Vienna

15gm Chinook 60mins
25gm Cascade 15mins
15gm Chinook 5 mins

25gm Cascade 80c hopstand 60mins

50gm Cascade dry hop 3 days

OG a couple of points down, probably down to mash being a bit warmer
than usual.

Chilled and pitched Safale US - 05 at 19c.

Second attempt at foxbat's Fuggle Duck, this one looking much more promising than my last effort. Base malt increased to allow for my less-than-stellar efficiency, and now I've nicely hit targets with 15 litres @ 1047 OG for a BHE of 68%. Lovely and clear in the testing jar too! And smells great! Just hope this liquid yeast works OK.

Last edited:
Well, it *was* looking more promising... no sign of life from nearly-out-of-date liquid yeast ☹️ Very disappointing.

Have bunged in a packet of Wilko yeast.

Well since I have some Chevallier, I am going to run my nottingham verdant samplers today. I figure to do 3 one with each Nottingham and Verdant and one with a mix of both.

I'll keep the recipe very simple so I can understand the yeast and malt.

It is very unique and flavourful for a malt, definitely more to a Munich level than pale ale.

Brewed an extract mild ale today:

1.6kg Extra light DME
325g Crystal 60
40g Dark Chocolate malt
40g Midnight Wheat

11g Pilgrim 30 mins
20g EKG 15 mins

S-04 dry yeast with teaspoon of yeast nutrient.

Brewed using late addition method for bulk of DME.

18.5L into fermenter, OG 1.036.
Inkbird set to 18.5C

Should be a nice session ale for Christmas.

Back