What next for The North of Ireland/ Northern Ireland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Easy, if the DUP are refusing to take up their posts and form a functional government, they they should be forced to give up their seats and a new by election in each of their constituencies should take place - where the DUP are not allowed to put up a candidate.

I bet the fekkers would buck their ideas up pronto at that point

Easy, if the DUP are refusing to take up their posts and form a functional government, they they should be forced to give up their seats and a new by election in each of their constituencies should take place - where the DUP are not allowed to put up a candidate.

I bet the fekkers would buck their ideas up pronto at that point
If it was that easy it would be great. Others are looking to stop paying their wages. The UK government look reluctant to step in. If no government is formed it's meant to go to some form of joint authority. Either way it's a never ending ***** show

Not an Ideal situation but what hasn't happened politically/ socially/ Joe blogs way of life, during the past 2+ years of " no government" ?
Can it be possible that life has gone on somewhat normally without politicians in charge making such important decisions?

Not an Ideal situation but what hasn't happened politically/ socially/ Joe blogs way of life, during the past 2+ years of " no government" ?
Can it be possible that life has gone on somewhat normally without politicians in charge making such important decisions?
Someone needs to make the decisions and be held accountable. It's not up to civil servants to make them. In an ideal world an elected government is meant to represent the people

Someone needs to make the decisions and be held accountable. It's not up to civil servants to make them. In an ideal world an elected government is meant to represent the people
Yes, agreed. In an ideal world. A noble goal to strive for. I sometimes wonder if the political systems really strive for that goal. Many seem to be self serving and promote confusion and conflict.

Funding. Because the Assembly is not sitting it cannot access the £3.3 billion funding due to Northern Ireland. Approx £600million is set aside from this fund for public pay.

Another fear that paramilitaries would step in to fill the power vacuum that currently exists.

Funding. Because the Assembly is not sitting it cannot access the £3.3 billion funding due to Northern Ireland. Approx £600million is set aside from this fund for public pay.

Another fear that paramilitaries would step in to fill the power vacuum that currently exists.
It has a knock on effect on everything. The A5 road up grade is on hold again. Local sports can't access the funds available to upgrade their current stadium's. Then you have the NHS and doctor waiting lists.

Yes, agreed. In an ideal world. A noble goal to strive for. I sometimes wonder if the political systems really strive for that goal. Many seem to be self serving and promote confusion and conflict.
Yes unfortunately they all seem the same no matter where you look. It's normally the people less well of that suffer

It has a knock on effect on everything. The A5 road up grade is on hold again. Local sports can't access the funds available to upgrade their current stadium's. Then you have the NHS and doctor waiting lists.
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. I had no idea. I guess my comments were directed to the sad political system and politicians. Are they blaming anyone else apart from politicians?

Yes unfortunately they all seem the same no matter where you look. It's normally the people less well of that suffer
I believe some of the Scandinavian counties have politicians who appear to work for their citizens and country's needs. My nephew moved to Denmark recently for work. He noted certain differences in attitude to life, from the UK.
It's dangerous to generalize ( so will ! ) but he thought folks had a happier state of mind. They knew and trusted their politicians. Of course - lots of exceptions to that broad statement but it was a feeling he picked up on.

Sorry to move this away from NI.

The 4 nations are utterly broken, we have Sunak a weak spineless toad who just's sacks people who don't agree with him. Back to the op if the DPU can't get round the table and short it out there should be an election but i can't see that happening any time soon

I believe some of the Scandinavian counties have politicians who appear to work for their citizens and country's needs. My nephew moved to Denmark recently for work. He noted certain differences in attitude to life, from the UK.
It's dangerous to generalize ( so will ! ) but he thought folks had a happier state of mind. They knew and trusted their politicians. Of course - lots of exceptions to that broad statement but it was a feeling he picked up on.

Sorry to move this away from NI.
My brother worked in Denmark for over a year. Better standard of life, health care and over all attitude. Son is in Australia and is saying the same. Life seems more geared towards family life. Works from 7 am to 3pm then hits the beach.
Obviously no matter where you live you still have to work to provide

The 4 nations are utterly broken, we have Sunak a weak spineless toad who just's sacks people who don't agree with him. Back to the op if the DPU can't get round the table and short it out there should be an election but i can't see that happening any time soon
An election won't sort it out. The last election returned the first Nationalist first minister. The DUP have not said they will serve as deputy. To make matters worse for them she is also a female.
The ironic thing about it first and deputy first minister hold the same power. In the past it was suggested that it should be a joint title ( joint first minister) but was refused by the DUP.
The old saying stand's true. When you are accustomed to privilege equality seems like oppression

It's sad but something has to change. The current format doesn't work. I honestly can't see a way out for the DUP now. Brexit has been a disaster for them.
They want direct rule as they have multiple times in the past. That way they keep their sovereignty and take Sinn Fein out of the equation and they can sit smug taking their orders from a government that shafted them several times.
The system is broken as far as the DUP are concerned as in it let nationalists have a voice and for the first time the lead in a system that was set up to never let this happen.
Said it before untill the attitude of the hardliners on BOTH sides change then the 6 counties will continue in the them and us attitude that’s existed since it began

Last edited:
They want direct rule as they have multiple times in the past. That way they keep their sovereignty and take Sinn Fein out of the equation and they can sit smug taking their orders from a government that shafted them several times.
The system is broken as far as the DUP are concerned as in it let nationalists have a voice and for the first time the lead in a system that was set up to never let this happen.
Said it before untill the attitude of the hardliners on BOTH sides change then the 6 counties will continue in the them and us attitude that’s existed since it began
I agree with the view on hardliners but they won't decide the future. It will be the middle ground and the younger generation.
As for direct rule, can they trust the conservatives. The Irish government will also have more of a say which could be Mary Lou.

I agree with the view on hardliners but they won't decide the future. It will be the middle ground and the younger generation.
As for direct rule, can they trust the conservatives. The Irish government will also have more of a say which could be Mary Lou.
There is a real chance Sinn Fein could be in power in the Republic after the next election.
How that turns out, God knows.

Latest posts

Back