Why top-up with water??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenorbrew

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to brewing wine.
I just wondered why, after racking, people top up the dj with cooled boiled water, rather than fermentables such as apple juice/grape juice.

It would seem to me that topping up with water would dilute the brew.

I tend to use apple or grape juice...

...which incidentally will dilute your wine (although not as much as water) as it has a potential of around 5 or 6% on its own Vs your 9-13% of your wine.

It depends on how you planned your recipe. If you planned it to be 13% at a gal or 5 lt then filled it short to allow for the fermentation, when you top up with water you will be right. It doesn't make that much difference in the long run. Also if using WGJ, apple or any other juice you will end up with some left over. You either drink it or waste it.

I always top up with water as i use 3 litres of juice in each DJ, it never tastes weak. :thumb:

tenorbrew as you are new to wine making and the forum here is a link to a thread about making supermarket juice wines -

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

I calc the sugars to allow for topping up with water and losses at racking, for wine.
For TurboCider I top up with AJ as you need to get as much apple in as poss.

Back