WTF ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigboots

Reaction score
In another post I had commented on a fermentation that had stopped at 1040. Have just bottled (and tested) at .996!
I have brewed many kits over the last year, but this is the lowest FG by far.
Having used a restart yeast and a brewbelt this ferment really took off and (eventually) looked like it was nearly finished fermenting.
SG (conservative) 1080, FG .996.............................ABV 11.2% minimum!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:
Has anyone seen a ferment go lower than this? :cheers:

It seems likely that the hydrometer is not that accurate. The SG of water at the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated at (e.g. 20celcius) is 1000. The final gravity of your beer will not be less than that.

Of course, I stand to be corrected, but it seems unlikely ;)

In water the hydro reads 1000 :thumb: ..................................

The lowest beer I've had go is 1008 which is about the lowest I think you can go, what with the unfermentable sugars which will always be left behind...I have to agree with oz and suggest a hydrometer misread for this? Also on another note what kit are you brewing that started at 1080? That seems really high, is more the average for a wine!

It also suggests you may of got infected and bacteria has caused the gravity to drop so low , unless you have used a wine/champagne yeast ?

I made a barley wine using the White Labs WLP009 High Gravity Yeast and the FG ended up below 1.000 off the top of my head I think it was about 0.995. I think this was due to the golden syrup and sugar I put in. It seems feasible for it to get to under 1.000 as alcohol is lighter/thinner than water and so if something gets strong enough (9-10%ish??) the alcohol will float the hydrometer lower.

Wine usually ferments out to .990 so I suppose I should not be surprised to see beer go below 1000.
Deffo NOT a misread on the hydro!
PS Added plenty of extra sugar & spraymalt to get the gravity to 1080. :thumb:
I bump up all of my beers this way. I prefer to have 2 pints of strong beer rather than 6 or more of a weaker beer! :cheers:
In my (limited) experience most beer yeasts can handle 10%, and this one had the extra assistance of 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient added with the restart yeast. :drink:

Back