Yeast Recommendations for Leffe clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too, great beers. I had Leffe Ruby on tap in Belgium and that was great too.

I happened to spot Leffe on tap in Spoons yesterday: wonder if it's the same thing, or a reduced-alcohol version for the UK market like Heineken etc. ?
I dont think it is a reduced alcohol version as a few weeks ago I went out during the day for beers with the lads from work. One chap had five pints of Leffe in Spoons where we all met up and was plastered...

Last edited:
I dong think it is a reduced alcohol version as a few weeks ago I went out during the day for beers with the lads from work. One chap had five pints of Leffe in Spoons where we all met up and was plastered...
I wonder if it’s brewed under license in the UK?

Don't know if this is any help:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/yeast-for-leffe-blonde-clone.186292/post-2158078
Can't think why anyone would want to clone Leffe Blonde, it taste "industrial" to me. On the other hand, perhaps a home-brewed version would be a decent beer.
Agreed, young Clarence although there's a greater variety out here in the sticks. A home brewed version would be better than the refinery stuff served on tap here and on your side of the Ditch and I'd be inclined to use L'allemand Abbey even at the risk of it tasting of bananas. You might be interested to know that there was a Leffe Radieuse which I used to enjoy, but it seems to have been retired for a good number of years.

You might be interested to know that there was a Leffe Radieuse which I used to enjoy, but it seems to have been retired for a good number of years.
Nope, they still make it (though not very common outside Belgium). My brother in law brought us some last Christmas.
https://leffe.com/en/beer/leffe-radieuseRadieuse is my favourite of the Leffe beers, and one of my favourite of all abbey beers. It's outstanding.

Here is a recipe for a clone that's pretty darn close to the original: July Belgian beers competition

Nope, they still make it (though not very common outside Belgium). My brother in law brought us some last Christmas.
https://leffe.com/en/beer/leffe-radieuseRadieuse is my favourite of the Leffe beers, and one of my favourite of all abbey beers. It's outstanding.

Here is a recipe for a clone that's pretty darn close to the original: July Belgian beers competition
Thanks @Agentgonzo , both for the knowledge that they still make it-I had read online that it had been withdrawn - lying bar stewards-and for the recipe. 😍

EDIT
I reckon that if I use Château instead of Breiss and my invert sugar #2 instead of candy syrup then I've got everything in stock apart from the yeast.
Worth a go, I reckon.

Last edited:
Thanks @Agentgonzo , both for the knowledge that they still make it-I had read online that it had been withdrawn - lying bar stewards-and for the recipe. 😍

EDIT
I reckon that if I use Château instead of Breiss and my invert sugar #2 instead of candy syrup then I've got everything in stock apart from the yeast.
Worth a go, I reckon.
Definitely worth a go. This clone is one of the best that I have ever made. Straight out of the fermenter, it tasted amazing. It definitely needs aging for at least 3-4 months, if not 6. If you follow the links over to the original thread on HBT, they talk about different yeasts that the OP used (liquid, rather than dried) but TBH, the MJ yeasts I used ended up great. Having dug into this more (the OP on HBT said it wasn't even their recipe) I think that it may well be a Jamil Zainasheff recipe for a dubbel originally that got tweaked.

I just went looking for Radieuse in a couple of online Belgian supermarkets (carrefour and Delhaize) - and neither of them list Radieuse (and they do list other Leffe brews like Rituel). I may well have misinformed you about them still making it (based on just seeing that it was still on Leffe's website). You may be right, in which case 😭 . Hopefully they still do. 🤞

I have a leffe royale, 9, and tripel in my shed all nicer than the main two leffes here. As far as spoons goes it is the same abv as in the bottle and tastes pretty much the same. For yeast I've used T-58 which was ok but prefer MJ's M41

Latest posts

Back