Any tea drinkers here?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I like a decent strong cup of tea but being lazy i throw a teabag into a cup which makes a weak brew however many times you squash it against the side of the cup (I assume we all do that) I decided to try loose leaf tea as i already had a pot so got a strainer and tried the loose version of the same tea, what a difference I now get a proper strong cup of tea (stand your spoon up strong) and I will not be going back to bags any time soon.

I wish I had found out they still make loose leaf tea as I assumed it had all moved to bags years ago.

How do you make yours?

Last edited:
I like weak tea and it has to be Dorset tea. Let the water see the bag for 5 secs and job done. Oh and I use freeze dried milk. Can’t be bothered with proper milk at work :)

I like mine very strong with a tiny splash of milk. Not too fussy about the brand as long as it’s “normal” black tea.

Strong, black and no sugar - preferably not from a tea-bag!

Two extremes:
  1. A mates' wife who makes two mugs of what she calls "tea" out of a single economy tea-bag.
  2. My Gran who kept a huge enamel tea-pot simmering on the coal fired stove in the living room. The tea was the colour and consistency of tar. The tea-pot was topped up with water and a tablespoonful of tea leaves every evening and only emptied once a week. The spent tea-leaves were strained out, cooled and then sprinkled on the living room carpet before it was rolled up and taken out into the back-yard for its weekly battering with a carpet beater!
Happy Days! athumb..

1. My Gran who kept a huge enamel tea-pot simmering on the coal fired stove in the living room. The tea was the colour and consistency of tar. The tea-pot was topped up with water and a tablespoonful of tea leaves every evening and only emptied once a week. The spent tea-leaves were strained out, cooled and then sprinkled on the living room carpet before it was rolled up and taken out into the back-yard for its weekly battering with a carpet beater!
I had a very similar conversation to this with a work colleague on Friday. I was talking about my Grandad having 2 teabags and leaving them in the cup, and she was telling me a very similar story to yours about her great-grandfather.

I've a friend who went to the Doctor's with the shakes, and he was asked about his caffeine consumption. 'How much tea do you drink ?' the Dr asks. ' oh, six or seven a day' says my friend. 'Cups or mugs ?' says the Dr. 'Pots' says my friend. I like tea, but not that much.

Yorkshire tea, squeeze the bag, no sugar, mere splash of milk! about 30 times a day. It's about 9am and I'm on my third since 8am.

Yeah it’s usually PG or Tetley for me, I just didn’t want to admit that to prefer macro-tea to microbrews!

SWMBO brought me some loose leaf earl grey so i gave it a try, the leaves are as big as my little finger nail yet the tea is weak even when using 3 spoons in my small pot it didn't taste nice either, back to the PG. :thumba:

Mainly coffee but tea when I can be bothered. Got a teapot with a built-in strainer which sits submerged in the liquor to mash the loose leaves. Always use Rington's tea. I think it's the best... really flavoursome and very strong.

Twinings strong breakfast tea for me.

Bagged normally but loose in a mini pot if I've got the time.

Strong with a dab of milk, no sugar.

Pointless knowledge: Do you know there's an ISO standard for brewing tea? ISO 3103.

On the subject of sweetening; to quote George Orwell: "To those misguided people I would say: Try drinking tea without sugar for, say, a fortnight and it is very unlikely that you will ever want to ruin your tea by sweetening it again."

Latest posts

Back